Why can't I change my homescreen picture?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Abby6497, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Abby6497 macrumors member

I had previously jailbroke my phone using redsnow. I then restored it because it kept crashing. Last night I used jailbreakme.com and everything went fine. Only now I can not figure out how to change my homescreen background. It is only letting me change my lock screen. I have a 3G running 4.0.1 I have winterboard installed is there something I am missing?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You have tried Settings/Wallpaper ?

Sounds like something in WInterboard is over-riding the wallpaper settings.

3. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I tried Settings/Wallpaper and it only changed the lock screen. In my winterboard I am running Dock Flow 3.0 and Color Block SMS. I wouldn't think either of these would mess it up but I could be wrong.

4. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

3G iphones running 4.0.x cant run a wallpaper other than on the lockscreen (4.0.x doesnt support that feature on 3g iphone, along with multitasking). you need to go into winterboard and activate "user wallpaper" and with this you can only have 1 (the same) wallpaper for both the home screen and lock screen

5. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

That's weird because I was running 4.0.1 the last time I jailbroke it and I was able to use two different wallpapers. Ok so I go into winterboard and activate the "user wallpaper" then I should be able to change it by going to settings, correct?

6. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

yea, but you can not change them individually, its only 1 wallpaper for both lockscreen and home screen. and yes you change the wallpaper in settings.

7. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I did all that and it still is not letting me set the homescreen. It's just changing the lock screen.

8. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

is there currently a wallpaper on your homescreen? or is it just black? are you running a theme thru winterboard? a lot of themes have a preset wallpaper on them and you can not run your own on the homescreen unless you manually change it thru openssh.

9. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

My homescreen is black. I have a wallpaper on my lock screen. I am running Dock Flow 3 original and 5 icon dock, and Color Block sms. I saw several pictures of people running Dock Flow 3 with their own wallpaper maybe they manually changed it. I have no idea how to do this.

10. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

hmm weird. well lets try a couple things. when you go into winterboard you will see the list of themes/changes. if you look on the right side of each theme you will see three horizontal lines, if you hold your finger on those three lines you can rearrange the order the themes are in (hold your finger on the lines for a couple seconds, then drag it) move the user wallpaper one all the way to the top. if that doesnt work then try to do a hard reset (hold the power and home button untill the phone turns off completely, then turn the phone back on) this wont delete anything, so dont worry.

11. adamsweeting macrumors regular

The answer is simple...

When you jailbroke using redsn0w - there were options to enable the wallpaper on homescreen for 3G, and multitasking.

Now that you've used jailbreakme.com - there are no tweaks to allow you to do that.

12. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I did both of those and it didn't fix it.

13. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so if I restore it and jailbreak it using redsnow this will fix it? But if I restore it and it updates to the 4.0.2 will this make it unable to jailbreak again?

14. adamsweeting macrumors regular

You will get back the wallpaper on homescreen if you restore to 4.0 or 4.0.1 then jailbreak using redsn0w. As long as you tick the checkboxes for enabling the wallpaper.

If you don't have SHSH's on file for your device, there's no way to restore to 4.0 or 4.0.1 AFAIK

If you do have SHSH on file, then you can shift click in iTunes to select the older firmware. Also you need to point iTunes to Saurik's server to authenticate

15. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

I don't have SHSH's on file for my device. Am I able to do this now that my phone is jailbroke? or am I just out of luck?

16. adamsweeting macrumors regular

If you have no SHSH, then no dice.

I guess you could just try and use redsn0w on your already jailbroken phone....
    But if anything goes wrong iTunes is going to force you into 4.0.2

So it's your call if you fancy trying it!

17. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

Well that sucks! I guess I'll just live without a wallpaper on my homescreen. I'd hate to mess it up and be forced to update then be out of jailbreaking completely. Thanks for the info!!

18. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

here is a simple workaround to get these nifty features to work on the iPhone 3G!
    And a simple edit to the N82AP.plist file is all there is to it…

Simply Adding the following textvalues to the N82AP.plist (which resides in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/) file will enable Multitasking and Wallpaper on your iPhone 3G:

<key>multitasking</key>

<true/>

<key>homescreen-wallpaper</key>

<true/>

This should fix your wallpaper and if you want multitasking add the line above that to but its not recommend for the 3G IPhone

Also redsn0w works on 4.0.2 on the IPhone 3G (Non MC Models) so there no issue if you do end up having to upgrade.

19. adamsweeting macrumors regular

20. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

The reason you had the home screen wallpaper before when you jailbroke your device was because you used redsn0w which gives you the option to enable multitasking, the home screen wallpaper and battery percentage. And because you used JailbreakMe when you jailbroke for the second time, you only got Cydia installed on your device and nothing else.

21. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

Ok this might be a stupid question but do I do this on the device itself of do i have to to it through iTunes? I tried running a google search but can not figure out step by step how to do this.

22. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

Ok i think i might have found it. Is this how you do it?

■Once you are done with Jailbreaking, install “OpenSSH” from Cydia.
    ■Now connect your iPhone to the computer and SSH to your device.
    ■Download any FTP program like WinSCP, Cyberduck or FileZilla.
    ■Enter the IP address of your iPhone in ther Server field.
    ■Give the username as “root” and password as “alpine” (If you haven’t chnaged it!)
    ■Select or enter the protocol as SFTP.
    ■Now browse iPhone and download the file “/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/N82AP.plist”
    ■Edit the N82AP.plist file using any text editor and add the following key, value pair
    ■<key>homescreen-wallpaper</key>
    <true/>
    ■Now upload the modified file to the same location and restart your iPhone
    If you have followed the above steps correctly you will now be able to set wallpapers on your Springboard and Lock Screen by going to Settings > Wallpapers.

23. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

Try this...

Cydia>sections>tweaks>user wallpaper 4.0

Or just search for "user wallpaper 4.0"

It's a bit finicky though... Cuz initially showed like a super huge sized version of my wallpaper but only showing the top left of the image... So in winterboard, I have user wallpaper 4.0 disabled but I have the regular user wallpaper enabled and it worked !?!? Dunno... I got my sexy ass wallpaper now though...

24. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

You can do that or modify the file directly through iFile on the iphone

25. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I ended up doing. I found another site that told me how to modify using ifile. I just turned my phone back on and it worked!