Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Why can't I delete certain apps?. For example, I've just installed Chrome for Mac. I don't like it and want to remove it. But when I move the app to trash, it just re-appears in apps folder, which is where it was in the first place!!! Got other that do that as well.

This is on a new macbook pro running latest Snow Leopard, but had the same on my old macbook as well.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Simple answer. Permissions.

Delete from Finder rather than trying to use stacks and it'll simply ask you for your admin password. Bingo

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In addition, deleting the Chrome.app will still leave files and folders related to Chrome on your computer. It's not a big problem if it does... they just take up space and won't hurt anything. If you want to remove all traces of the app, here is some helpful information:

AppZapper, AppCleaner, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
AppZapper missed 13 items
AppCleaner missed 11 items
AppDelete missed 8 items​
I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

Koll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
I've downloaded appdelete which did the job fine.

Thank you.

Koll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
So you think....

I tried the "Best way to FULLY DELETE a program" as above but I don't get the option to choose system files in Finder as shown in the example, so used appdelete.

Why don't I get the System Files option?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I tried the "Best way to FULLY DELETE a program" as above but I don't get the option to choose system files in Finder as shown in the example, so used appdelete.

Why don't I get the System Files option?
Look at step 4. See the red circled "-" button just below the circled search term "Skype"? It's a "+" until you click it.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
In addition, deleting the Chrome.app will still leave files and folders related to Chrome on your computer. It's not a big problem if it does... they just take up space and won't hurt anything. If you want to remove all traces of the app, here is some helpful information:

AppZapper, AppCleaner, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
AppZapper missed 13 items
AppCleaner missed 11 items
AppDelete missed 8 items​
I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

Fantastic...Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the link and the time to write it all up. I'm new to OSX and I figured that if those "uninstallers" were anything like the ones in Windows, that they left a lot of crap behind. I used an uninstaller last night to remove FireFox, and then used your manual method and found several folders, pref files, bookmark files, plist files, etc.,etc. I didn't count them, but there was a lot left behind.

Koll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Look at step 4. See the red circled "-" button just below the circled search term "Skype"? It's a "+" until you click it.

Mine shows a "+" from the start which I click and still don't get System Files option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.