Why can't I delete certain apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Koll, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Koll macrumors member

Why can't I delete certain apps?. For example, I've just installed Chrome for Mac. I don't like it and want to remove it. But when I move the app to trash, it just re-appears in apps folder, which is where it was in the first place!!! Got other that do that as well.

This is on a new macbook pro running latest Snow Leopard, but had the same on my old macbook as well.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Simple answer. Permissions.

Delete from Finder rather than trying to use stacks and it'll simply ask you for your admin password. Bingo

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In addition, deleting the Chrome.app will still leave files and folders related to Chrome on your computer. It's not a big problem if it does... they just take up space and won't hurt anything. If you want to remove all traces of the app, here is some helpful information:

AppZapper, AppCleaner, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
    AppZapper missed 13 items
    AppCleaner missed 11 items
    AppDelete missed 8 items​
    I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

4. Koll thread starter macrumors member

I've downloaded appdelete which did the job fine.

Thank you.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

So you think....

6. Koll thread starter macrumors member

I tried the "Best way to FULLY DELETE a program" as above but I don't get the option to choose system files in Finder as shown in the example, so used appdelete.

Why don't I get the System Files option?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look at step 4. See the red circled "-" button just below the circled search term "Skype"? It's a "+" until you click it.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Fantastic...Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the link and the time to write it all up. I'm new to OSX and I figured that if those "uninstallers" were anything like the ones in Windows, that they left a lot of crap behind. I used an uninstaller last night to remove FireFox, and then used your manual method and found several folders, pref files, bookmark files, plist files, etc.,etc. I didn't count them, but there was a lot left behind.

9. Koll thread starter macrumors member

Mine shows a "+" from the start which I click and still don't get System Files option?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

See the "Other" at the end of the list? Click that.

11. Koll thread starter macrumors member

That worked thanks. Sorry I'm such a dumbo!!!