Why can't I download or access anything?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bluewomble88, Jan 27, 2014.

1. bluewomble88 macrumors regular

Hi

I'm using a new MacBook Pro but it isn't playing nicely.

I am trying to download Chrome for Mac but whenever I hit the DOWNLOAD button nothing happens at all.
    When I go to http://www.huddle.com and click on Customer Login at the top, it loads a blank page. It works fine on my iPad.

What the hell is going on?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Works here but you need flash installed for it to do so, perhaps you do not have that. For chrome open the Terminal.app located in your utilities folder then type/paste in and hit enter key.

Code:
    curl -O https://dl.google.com/chrome/mac/stable/GGRO/googlechrome.dmg

This will download it from a direct link onto your computer in your users home directory. Open finder then the googlechrome.dmg file to install it.

3. bluewomble88 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I discovered the problem - I had JavaScript unchecked so I don't get the Java malware thing going around.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Your welcome. Javascript does not use the Java installed if any on a machine despite the naming of it. And on a Mac most likely you do not have it installed unless you have went out of your way for it to be installed. To check if java is installed open Terminal and use the following.

Code:
    MacUser2525:~$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_65"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

If you see similar output from the java -version command on your machine then it is installed.

5. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

I understand that you might be worried but you really don't want to be leaving the Javascript option unchecked otherwise you'll have a seriously bad time. 99.9% of the net is reliant on it and it's for the most part safe and that malware issue kinda disappeared over a year ago.

As for Chrome. IMO unless you really need it I'd give it a wide birth on OS X, it's awful. Go firefox if you really can't handle safari.