Why cant I have a remote?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Nipsy, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

So I like the new machines, but why do Pro tower buyers still not get a remote? Or any option to add a remote?

When I'm working in an app, I really prefer not having to to do anything to get my next iTunes track other than use the remote. It works beautifully on my laptop. As a matter of fact, it works beautifully on every other Mac.

Is anyone else infuriated that Apple couldn't be bothered to give a remote to Pro users?

Has anyone come up with a workaround that is as transparent as on all other Macs?

2. timestamp macrumors 6502

3. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

On the new keyboards they have next track and volume buttons. That or you could download Synergie.

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I was thinking about this earlier today... i was thinking that Apple would be better off adding the remote as a package deal with the new cinema displays coming out, to provide it as an incentive to buy the matching display.

Think about it... the desktop is usually tucked away and probably has horrible reception if there.... but if the tranciever were in the monitor, you could use the remote anywhere. And if you don't want the remote... no harm done, just don't use it. I just think it would make a nice option if you wanted to watch a DVD from the screen (since its almost as big as a television).

5. fangiotophia macrumors newbie

fangiotophia

Good Point

That is a really good point about putting the receiver in the display. It would make the most sense and considering the rumors about new displays at MacWorld, I would put it as a pretty good possibility! I have really been wanting a Mac Pro with an ACD but I really can't afford both right now. I will probably get the Mac Pro and upgrade to a good monitor in a few months. Perhaps I will just buy or borrow a really crappy LCD to replace my CRT for now.

6. timestamp macrumors 6502

Really? Where is this rumor!?

7. Nipsy thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Ha...so you do care.

Anyway, long ago when my Mac had a Keyspan remote, it had an eye on a USB cable which received the signal. IR remote eyes are tiny little things that you can place almost anywhere, and an eye like that would suit the Pro just fine.

Binding the user to the an Apple display would be typical of Apple a few years back, but they do seem to be opening the options for their users a bit of late, so maybe having the remote at $19, and the eye bundled in the display or available as USB for $19 would suit everybody!

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah i am using a Mira IR port with my mac pro and a apple remote to go along with it. :)

9. Rasheem macrumors regular

YOu could use quiksilver. Just google quiksilver or use version tracker

10. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

But when I am laying in bed, and want to watch movies and stuff, I like the remote.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Then buy a remote. :rolleyes:

12. timestamp macrumors 6502

I care more about updated specs and price drops than I do a remote. That is why I asked where the ACD rumors were.

13. nslyax macrumors regular

I can see the receiver being on the display, as it is up on the desk at a better level for receiving the IR signal, where as the Mac Pro may be below the desk and somewhat obscured.

As far as getting a remote now, there are a few 3rd party options as had been mentioned above. I have a Keyspan that works quite well. Not sure about Leopard / Intel Mac compatibility though.

14. MikeL macrumors 6502

15. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Nice. This sounds probable. They could still add it as a feature for ~5 bucks and charge us $25 and no one, but the trolls would complain!