Why can't I output my video in widescreen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by theLemur, Feb 7, 2010.

1. theLemur macrumors regular

I've tried on two different monitors, and the best I can do is widescreen that will fill about 75% of the screen. It leaves darkness all the way around the edges. On my 19" widescreen monitor that means I have about 2-3" around every edge that is wasted. Not only that, but on this particular monitor the display comes out with lots of "noise" that creates random dots of color all over the screen. I am using a mac dongle to an hdmi cable..

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac are you talking about, look into System Profiler for the Model Identifier?

[​IMG]

So you have two widescreen monitors, with lets say a resolution of 1920 x 1080, but only 3/4 are used.

What exactly is missing, horizontal or vertical resolution - black on the left and right side, or at the top and bottom, or even all around?

Have you taken a look at System Preferences > Displays if the right resolution for the external monitor is chosen?

3. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

It's Macbook 3,1

I have a 19" external monitor, or a 32" TV, and both do the same thing. That is to say, when they are hooked up, I can select from multiple resolutions, but the only widescreen resolutions that function only take up part of the screen, and leave blackness on the top, bottom, left, and right. I've gone through every single resolution and none fill the entire screen.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What are the available resolutions and what is the native resolution of the 19"?

5. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Just about every possible resolution can be selected, although not all will display an image. If by native you mean the max, it's 1440 x ???.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Are you outputting via Mirror or Extended Desktop? If it's mirroring, it may be because your computer is outputting 1280x800 whereas the monitor is 1440x900 and isn't scaling the smaller image up.

7. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried both, but they both produce the same result. It's weird, I know..