Why can't I play burned cd's in normal cd player?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dejection2008, Feb 23, 2008.

1. dejection2008 macrumors newbie

I burned 3 cd's in itunes the other day. The import was set to mp3 and the disc format was set to 'audio cd'. Yet when I attempted to play these discs at my job the disc player was not reading them. Was I suppose to select 'mp3' instead of audio cd?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Choosing "Audio CD" is correct. Not sure why that CD player wouldn't play it. Have you tried it in another player?

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Either your CD player at work is too old, or it is not actually a CD player (such as a Muzak player - quite common in business places).

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

If you have the option, you could also try using a different kind of CD-R. I've noticed older CD players can be finnicky in which CD-R/RWs it will read.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Don't burn on CD-RWs if you want it to work on older CD players. Also stick to 700MB or less CDs the newer larger types of CD-R are too dense for the laser in older CD players to read.

6. dejection2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

It has nothing to do with how old the cd player is. I burned music onto discs from the same package using a 4 year old dell inspiron, and it worked fine. Why is apple trying to make cd's non audio compliant with anything but apple computers running itunes? I'm not sure about this, but i'm going to see if the disc I burned using the 'make mp3 disc' function will play in it.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The CDs iTunes make are 'audio compliant'. Every CD I've burnt using it has played fine in my car stereo and my hi-fi.

The way I normally do it is through iTunes, select what I want to burn, make a new playlist out of it, and then just hit 'Burn Disc' at the bottom. All done.

8. methodmano macrumors member

I've burned about a hundred CD's from iTunes and played them in all sorts of different players. Maybe it's the media your using? See if the disc will work in other players to determine if it's a player issue or a disc issue.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You are obviously doing something wrong. The CDs iTunes produces will play on any CD player (I know I've used a CD I burnt using iTunes on a CD player from 1987).

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It's not the computer, it's your CD player, or your CDs, or something you're doing during the process. iTuens doesn't burn audio CDs any differently than any audio CD burner on any other platform.

There is no need for hostile (and ridiculous) posts such as this. You can help solve this problem by trying to play the CD on some other CD player (as was suggested earlier). If it still doesn't work, then it's something you're doing wrong. If it does work, then it's your CD player thats the problem.

An "mp3 disc" is just a big volume with a lot of mp3s on it - that isn't going to solve your problem.

11. dejection2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can accept the possibility that I am doing something wrong, if you would share the right way of burning discs? Is there a non-itunes failsafe way of burning discs that will play in cd players?

12. dejection2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Then why did the discs I burned using a 4 year old dell inspiron play fine on the cd player? I might add these were discs from the same 25 pack set I purchased.

Hey instead of you people continually repeating that it's 'something you're doing wrong'. Can you convey the right way of doing it?

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

1. iTunes->Preferences->Advanced->Burning, Select "Audio CD"

2. Create Playlist

3. Insert Blank CD

4. With playlist highlighted, select Burn

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Are you burning track lists into the CD as well? This is how I have my iTunes set up. Though, I will use Roxio's Toast for most of my CD burning.

Attached Files:

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Primer:
    A CD-R is very different from a commercially manufactured CD -- even though they may have the same audio files written on them. The 'pits' that encode data are smaller on a CD-R, and the 'contrast' between a pit and a land (1 and 0) is lower on a CD-R. This makes it harder for the audio CD player to focus on the pits to read a CD-R without errors. Too many errors, and it gives up. The older the CD player, the more likely it is it will have trouble. CD-RW disks are even harder to read - Don't use CD-RW for audio.

Variables include the brand of CD-R blanks, and the type of dye used in them. There is no single 'best' - some brands and dye types will work better with a particular audio CD player and not another. Problems that a player has with a particular brand or formulation of blank is the number one cause of incompatibility, the solution is to experiment with different brands and stick with what works best for you.

Another variable is the speed at which the CD was burned. In general, the faster you burn a disk (16x, 32x, 48x) the worse it will read in a player. If you are having trouble, the first step is to re-burn the CD at a slower Preferred Speed - even choosing 2x or 4x speed if necessary, to make better pits for the player to read. I would guess that this is the difference with the older Dell -- it has an older CDRW drive that burned the disks at a slower speed.

Then there is some variablilty between brands of CD burner drives, again though, there is no 'best', your results with a particular audio CD player will vary. There's not a lot you can do about that, except try another audio CD player.

A MP3 CD is NOT an audio CD, it cannot be read in an audio-only CD player. Some modern CD players are built to be able to play MP3 files, but unless it says so on the player the default would be not.

Blaming Apple for somehow creating CD burners that prevent play in audio CD players is not an informed position. You can expect kickback in the forums for that. Demanding that people solve your problem when you haven't provided near enough info (or done any basic research yourself), and then cussing at people who are trying to help, is also not going to win forum friends.

Fortunately, this forum has an Ignore list.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Well put!

Thanks for adding this.

17. Charrlie macrumors newbie

Same Problem with Snow Leopard & new iTunes. Works with Leopard.

Same problem- tried audio, mp3, unprotected, etc.... tried a number of different types of CD's & CD players. Then I used my old computer with Leopard..no problem.

Also, just using Leopard to format flash drives to function with both Mac & PC.

I do not know why they are doing this but it is just alienating people:(

18. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

It is not likely an OS problem. It's more likely that your old computer burns at slower speeds, which often results in more readable discs. I've burned lots of CDs using Snow Leopard on a MacPro with no issues. However, I always use 4x for burn speed to insure compatibility with as many CD players as possible.

19. HuskyOffset macrumors newbie

HuskyOffset

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Another thing that I've had happen to me is that the optical drives seem to get out of alignment somehow, in such a way that another drive, your audio CD player in this case, can't read discs burned by the drive in question properly. I'd try playing the disc you burned in another player, as was suggested earlier. It sucks when this happens, I've had drives that I've burned data CDs with for years suddenly start producing discs that my other computer can't read.

20. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

If the other suggestions fail to work, you can try a different CD burning program or a different computer. Possibly iTunes is doing something weird.