Why cant I see the computers on my network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hoolamonster, Mar 11, 2009.

1. hoolamonster macrumors newbie

Wow, feel like a tard... Im trying to get on the pc here on my home network... I cant seem to find it and my pc cant find me??? I have my office set up that works fine, but at home no luck... I dont remember how I set my mac up to see the office pc's but i dont think it was this much of a pain! Any help?

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Sounds like the workgroup is not the same on both machines. But, do you at least have connectivity?

3. hoolamonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup internet works fine... Im a new apple user... it just seems so much easier on a pc to set yourself up on the network... wth am I doing wrong???

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Did you check the workgroup name to ensure it is the same on both machines?

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You probably don't want to hear this but I suggest searching the forum and Google. There's been a couple threads just this week on this very topic. A lot of potential solutions have been discussed and would be a good place to start. There's also a number of tutorials you can find via Google to get things setup. Try some stuff out and if you have trouble report back what you tried and what your current settings are for both your Window's machine and Mac.

6. hoolamonster thread starter macrumors newbie

lol at least you're honest,,, I have searched like crazy... Thats why i feel dumb... and honestly there sould just be one solution, am i wrong?

So ok Im conected to my router... Internet works fine... I open the network folder no computers... How do I add or scan for computers on the network???

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

8. hoolamonster thread starter macrumors newbie

PAIN IN THE @SS... lol wow just cant get it...

9. hoolamonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so the PC can see me but the Mac cant see the PC (or my xbox)

10. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I'm having exactly the same problem, you can read my posts here on the forum, lot's people provided good tips and things to try, so far nothing has worked.

I spent 3 hours on the phone with Apple Tech Suport and talked to two different Experts, they couldn't help me and left at "sometimes Windows and Mac computers simply don't get along and/or they blamed it on my router, but it's a new dual bank linksys router, works great... except like you my mac can' see the pc's on the network unless I enter the info manually which is a hassle compared to windows were everything connects the moment you turn it on.

If you find a solution please let me know and I'll do the same.

11. lazydesi macrumors 6502

if you are using wireless , then it is hard to connect or to see pc. using ethernet the problem will be solved

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I didn't know that ... there has to be an 'easy' way ... has to be .... :confused:

13. hoolamonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh... see at work my computer is hooked up via ethernet... at home im wireless... How lame, Im pretty disappointed with my MBP so far... ; (

14. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes wrong. People have different computers, different network configurations, etc. all of which can introduce different problems. The problem could be related to the setup on your Mac, or your Windows machine, or maybe your router needs to be setup differently, or a firewall is in the way, or some virus software. Since you gave no information other than it's not working, it makes it very hard to troubleshoot. And you still haven't given any information for people to work from. What have you tried? What are your current settings?

15. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Try following the bullet points of this tutorial.

Note, that if you have a router that segments the wired and wireless networks (i.e. does not forward broadcast traffic between the two), this probably won't help.