Why can't I see which programs are open in dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SolidImaging, May 15, 2008.

1. SolidImaging macrumors newbie

Hi All.

What I want to know is why the Leopard dock doesn't show which applications are open like the Tiger dock did. I don't like to keep a lot of applications open at one time but there's nothing telling me what's open and what's not. Does anyone know of a way to change the dock so the application icons will show me if an application is open?

Thanks!

2. spooky mulder macrumors regular

did you remove anything from your dock resources folder?

3. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Google "Hacking leopard dock" there are hacks (very simple ones FYI) that will help you out.

Problem is, its not that the leopard dock DOESNT tell you which ones are open, its just the icon apple chose for the leopard dock to tell you what apps ar open, well that icon isnt the easiest to see, expecially with some backgrounds... wasnt a very smart move on apples part really. Luckily its extreemly easy to fix.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its quite a bit more subtle in Leopard, but there should be a small blueish light under the open applications.

5. SolidImaging thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't removed anything. I haven't had the computer a week yet. (My house sitter zapped my G4 when I was out of town. He's buried in the backyard with a ton of lime.)

Now I see the very, very, very light blue shadows. I was looking for some indication but subtle is right. They're almost non-existent. I knew there had to be someway to tell but this one had me stumped.

Thanks!!

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2007101815375480

simple way to change the dock to make it look like it would on the side, even on the bottom alignment. i have it done on my iMac, much easier to tell.

7. SolidImaging thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I may have to try that. I'm going to give this dock a couple more days worth of trying out just to see if I can get used to it or if I don't like it for real.

I notice the blue shadow much more at night without the lights on like right now but the 2D dock would be really good during the day.

I hate getting used to a new computer. I had my G4 longer than I had most boyfriends in my single days. :D