Why can't I select and hit enter to change name?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by expendableboy, Nov 14, 2014.

1. expendableboy macrumors newbie

Items in the Shared folder...

Why can't I edit them? I have write permission:

Attached Files:

2. sharon22 macrumors regular

In the lower right-hand corner of your Screenshot, there's is a tiny golden-colored lock. You need to click the lock and enter your password. Then, you'll be able to make changes.

The "lock" theoretically keeps hackers (or anyone that's not you) from altering important system thingamajigs. So, from time to time when you need to make changes, if you ever see a Locked Lock, you need to click on it (to open it up) and then enter your password to make whatever changes you need to make.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

3. expendableboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but

Yeah but...

You can see (from the screenshot) that I already have write permission.

Even when I unlock the corner icon, I'm still not able to
    select file/hit enter/be able to rename

So something's up.

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

It is always locked no matter what the permissions are. It is even locked when you have no access at all. Unlock the lock and you can modify the permissions however you want, even if you have no access.

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

What exactly are you trying to do?
    You can only change permissions on that window for a user that is already listed. You can't change the name of anything there (not that you would ever want to.)
    If you simply want to change the name of the top user (which is you) - this window will not allow that, and it's not the correct place in the system to make that change, even if you could.
    If you want to add a user, click on the (+) at the bottom of that window. (be careful)
    If you want to DELETE a user, select that user from that list, then click the (-) (also, be careful)
    You can really mess up a file, if you don't know what you are doing on that window. For example "wheel" and "everyone" are internal system users, that most folks should never change ANY settings that involve that part of your system.
    Can you tell us exactly what change you want to make?

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Can you tell us what you want to rename?
    If you want to rename your own user account, and you don't know what you are doing, you can cause horrendous issues with your account.
    One good method is to create a new user, then move all your files from the old to the new one. When you are done, you would then delete your old account.

Can you tell us why you want to change your account name?

8. expendableboy thread starter macrumors newbie

File names.

Normally, if I have a file selected in the Finder, I can hit Enter and the file's name will be renamable (meaning its name becomes selected)

[​IMG]

but I can't seem to in any files/folders in my machine's "Shared" folder.

Even though, as you can see from the first post, I have read/write permission.

9. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

So, that's only for files in the Shared folder?
    And, you can select files, then hit enter to make the file name editable most anywhere else on your hard drive?

Where is that Shared folder located?
    Is that a Shared folder in your own User (home) folder?
    Or, the Shared folder which is in the /Users folder?

Are you using Filevault?
    Or, do you have file sharing turned on?

10. expendableboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.

I think everyone has one in OS X, within the "Users" folder.
    So you have in that folder "User 1," "User 2," etc and "Shared"

No and yes.

No to Filevault, and the problem is constant with file sharing on and off

11. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I suspect there's some problem with permissions on that Shared folder, that is applied to files that reside in the folder, and affects those files while living in that folder.

Maybe a quick work-around:
    Move a file out of that Shared folder, rename, then place back in the folder (if you need to keep it there)

12. expendableboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm with you... so the question then is, if I wanted to repair perms on "Shared", will it work if I do this. I'll try it let you know

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think that will help. That just fixes permissions issues in your user account.

Just an idea.... but how about command-r boot to recovery and with Disk Util from there do a repair disk and a repair permissions both.

14. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You have permissions to write in the folder. That means you can create new files and delete files. Just because you can do that does not mean you automatically have permission to change files created by others (you do not say whether these are your files or not and from your description, it sounds like these files may belong to another userid).

A.

15. expendableboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Back on the case...

Alrescha, I think you're right. So I ask the OS to assert the correct permissions to all enclosed items, but that still doesn't allow me to change certain items' names. Is that because I (my user acct) is not the owner of the folder?

Is there anyway (other than terminal/UNIX) to know a folder or file's owner?

I'm stumped. I thought "You can read and write" meant ... etc, etc.

(BTW, repairing perms from the rec. partition didn't help anything, although a faulty (?) permission was detected for Users/Shared/.localized.)

16. Alrescha macrumors 68020

To reiterate, folder permissions and file permissions are separate and different. "/Users/Shared" is owned by root, and you probably do not want to try and change that.

You can change the owner of individual files by using Get Info. Unlock with the admin password, add yourself to the list with the plus sign, then use the gear control "Make Me the owner".

A.