Why can't I still make phone tones in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bulldog VII, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Dear all

As a life long apple convert I am still disgusted that I can't make phone tones from songs that I have purchased on itunes.

It's, I think, because I live in the UK & apple haven't allowed this for us yet.

Come on Apple, we pay almost twice as much here in the UK, so you certainly have had your profits. Stop being greedy & play the game

I shall now get off my soap-box!!

ps I know I can make them with garageband etc, it's more the principal!

2. angrywaiter macrumors member

Probably something to do with those money hungry record executives.

I imagine given their thirst for our hard earned cash and their litigious pursuit of anything or anyone that might prevent them gaining more money might be to blame. Bet they want the lion share of the revenue from the charge levied by apple for the ability to make a ringtone from the song you've already purchased.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for paying for an artists work product but lining some fat twat... I mean fat cat's pocket is not in my interest.

3. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

If the songs are DRM free (eg iTunes Plus, or other mp3 file), you can create the ringtone in GarageBand for free. There are tutorials around. Gives you a lot of flexibility, and is 100% supported by Apple. As for DRM protected stuff, this is one of the disadvantages of DRM - no editing.