why can't I stream video from my mac to my touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrklaw, Mar 20, 2009.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

I can't find a solution to do this. There are solutions for Xboxes, PS3s and other devices, but not the iphone/touch.

I tried plugplayer, which works well with UPnP servers, but it won't play any of my video. I need something that has a transcoding server - like orb, connect360, or Tversity - none of which have Mac clients.

Has anyone found a solution that can be used to stream video from a mac, over my LAN (internet optional) to my ipod touch? Also needs to support a variety of formats - not everything is ipod format and I don't want to transcode everything

2. brax.j macrumors regular

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

ehh theres no built in support. Or, as apple would say it: "If you need streaming music and videos, There's an app for that." with cool music going.

4. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Are you KIDDING ME?

I've been doing this for over a year now, without a single hiccup! Even before the App Store! Use Telekinesis, http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/

It goes through Safari, just have the app open on your Mac and go to the address in your browser on the Touch. You'll figure it out easily enough. ;)

5. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

But that will only work with stuff in iPod touch compatible format?
    I'd like something that can transcode to iPod format on the server side
    There are several different solutions for other devices, and for PC but nothing for mac?

6. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

There are very few servers that convert videos into iPod compatible format for you, it's pretty much expected that you do that yourself. In fact, apart from the special deal Apple set up with youtube to have them make all their videos viewable on the iPhone/iPod touch, I've never heard of a server that does that for you. Sorry, but I really think you should just convert them yourself. Just download iSquint for batch converting (iTunes works too, but with less options and it slows waaay dooown) and leave it on overnight.

7. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

there are plenty that do realtime transcoding for ps3, xbox 360, even wii. So its not an unusual setup.

I have handbrake and visualhub, so I might try converting a batch into a simple lores version mp4 (so it'll convert faster), but its a PITA as I want it to just let me stream my current plex library, and I would prefer not to have to manage two libraries.