Why can't I talk on my Apple Watch and when will that happen?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by t234b, Feb 23, 2016.

1. t234b macrumors newbie

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

You can make and receive phone calls on your Apple Watch while it is connected to your phone via Bluetooth. And, if your carrier supports WiFi calling, you can even make and receive calls on the AW with your phone off (as long as the watch is connected to a WiFi network).

3. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Receiving and making calls on the Apple Watch works like a charm. I use it a lot. I also send messages via Siri through my Apple Watch.

4. tonedrums macrumors member

tonedrums

5. t234b thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. What I was fishing for was:
    Where and how far are we on the technology that will allow our watches to be stand alone phones? Hopefully that is clearer.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

How far along? There are already a few watches that do this that have been on the market. Apparently no one cares.
    LG already discontinued their LTE watches.

7. af21187 macrumors 6502

Cellular capabilities on a watch is a major battery drain. Probably won't happen for a decade.

Then again, none of us have any clue. Only Apple does.

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Stand-alone cell technology has been on smartwatches for a few years now. I suspect that the watches with cellular radios are still ahead of their time, but that will become normative eventually. LG probably delayed the Urbane 2 because of software/hardware related to carrier locking. I would not be surprised if they release a LTE product again soon. The Samsung Gear has been around for a while and the Timex Ironman One does limited connectivity (within the rules limits of Ironman). Apple chose not to pursue this, but who knows, they might add it to the AW if the wearable market moves in that direction.

9. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

A watch's inability to easily manage a Contacts list is enough for me to prefer it staying tethered to a phone.

Well, that, and the thought of trying to dictate messages in a crowded place. And trying to forward a text to a group.

I don't think these hassles would change with miraculous new battery technology.

10. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

You need to give him/her more love.
    It is not about technology, it is about how much you love Apple.

11. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'd never want a cellular watch. I use my phone mainly for browsing the web, listening to music, and running apps. All of those things would be pretty annoying to do exclusively on the watch.

But, yes they have had cellular watches before. The response has been pretty tepid to those, since they are very bulky and cost more, plus they really can't do anything better than the phone in your pocket can do.