Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atalia Trejo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
I am sure I am putting the correct password but it shakes like it is the wrong password!

I bought the Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB at an apple store to store all my pictures and videos while my MacBook was being repaired 2 years ago. This Christmas I put all my school stuff in the hard drive too because my computer was running out of storage. I remember it kept asking me for my password while I made new folders and I thought it was annoying but it was an easy short password (my MacBook login) Two weeks ago before schools were closed I was trying to print some things for my students to take home. I remember connecting it to the school's computer and not being able to print anything because I entered the wrong password (I was entering the password I use for all my school stuff). Then, I connected the mobile drive to my MacBook laptop and I realized the password HINT is MacBook Login so I was able to access my files since I realized my password is the same one I use to log into my Macbook. Now I was trying to connect it again and when I entered the password I used just 2 weeks ago, it shook like it was the wrong password. I second-guessed myself so I tried other passwords, but it did not unlock. I read online that if you try the wrong password too many times the mobile drive is disabled and that you should unplug it and plug it back in and try it again with the right password. So I did that many times, this time entering the password that I am 100% certain of but it is still not unlocking. I am going crazy here! I am sure of my password, but I have no clue why it is not unlocking! Is it because I second-guessed myself and I messed it up by entering other passwords? How do I fix it? Moving from the classroom to online teaching has been difficult, and not being able to access all my school stuff is making it extra hard. However, what worries me the most is that I had all my wedding pictures in there too! What are my options?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"What are my options?"

Enter the correct password.

This is why you should never NEVER NEVER NEVER encrypt a drive unless you have a very compelling reason to do so.

And then, WRITE DOWN the password and keep it somewhere safe.
Even if you HAVE the correct password, if the drive has some other problems, having it encrypted may still make it difficult or impossible to "get at it".

Wish I had more encouragement to offer.
You may be out of luck this time.
But next time, think about what I've said above...

mick2

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2017
UK
The online story you've read about entering the password too many times and needing to reconnect the drive is nonsense, so at least you can stop doing that. And you didnt mess anything up when you tried the incorrect passwords earlier.

As @Fishrrman said above, the only solution is to remember your password. Caps lock not on when your typing it??

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Type it somewhere in plaintext to make sure it’s being entered correctly then copy/paste that into the password dialog box. Beyond that...I’m not sure what to suggest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.