why can't i update my iphone to IS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by joenj07087, Sep 22, 2012.

1. joenj07087 macrumors member

when I go to software update in settings in my iphone, the IOS 6 download and install button is grey out, what is going on here?....I have an Iphone 4s, with Verizon...do I have to enable something on the phone to be able to download and install IOS 6? please help!

2. Macman45, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You are using the cable and not wifi? You have to cable or dock the device for IOS upgrades.

3. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

no you don't :rolleyes:

4. joenj07087 thread starter macrumors member

IT SAYS this installation requires wi fi connection to install?..are you kidding me?...what about if I don;t have one?...are they serious? how do I work this?...

----------

I will try this thank you MAcman! : )

5. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

if you want to update OTA using the software update on the iphone, you need to be on a WIFI connection.

6. joenj07087 thread starter macrumors member

ok I'm missing somethinghere, I connected the iphone to my iMac, but the Download and Install button still grey out.....is there a page on the web with instructions? like step by step?..i'm looking and don't really see any....

----------

so to update the IOS with the iphone connected to my iMac...what do I do?..open iTunes and do it through there?

7. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

connect your iphone to itunes using the USB cable.
    click on "update", of course you will need an internet connection on your iMac.

8. joenj07087 thread starter macrumors member

I'm doing it through itunes now, at least the download, with the iphone connected to my imac....I wonder what other steps I have to do, or will that do it?

----------

thank you Chenks, i'm doing that now!