Why can't I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VelvetElegance, Jul 19, 2011.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

Hi folks~
    So I am still one OS behind running 10.5.8. I want to upgrade to Lion, but I can't do that since I haven't yet upgraded to Snow Leopard, so I decided to buy a DVD on ebay (don't say it, I already know). Anyway, as I was running through the installation, I got about midway through and got an error that said the OS was unable to be installed. I contacted the seller who responded that I can't go from 10.5.8 to 10.6. I don't understand why this is? Can anyone shed light on why I can't complete this upgrade?

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Is 10.5.8 the last version of leopard before snow leopard came out? If so you should definitely be able to upgrade. I upgraded from leopard to snow leopard on release day from 10.5.8 (as far as I remember) and had no issues. Its probably an issue with the disk and the seller doesn't want to admit it.

3. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

How can I tell if 10.5.8 is the last version of Leopard before Snow Leopard? I run software updates often enough, I guess. I have a new update waiting for me currently, but they don't seem to reflect OS updates: Airport, Java for Mac, a Security update, and an iTunes update.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Why don't you just try the update then try to install SL again?

5. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

What computer do you have? What are the specs?

6. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

First gen Intel iMac.. 2 gigs Ram.. 1.83 Core Duo Processor

7. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I believe 10.5.8 was the last Leopard version before Snow Leopard. Maybe instead of an archive install, do a clean install (make sure you back up first).

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It is. But, if you want to test that, run Software Update and see if it wants to download 10.5.9

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

OS X Lion requires at least a Core 2 Duo CPU ... You won't be able to run it.