Why Can't I use Assign with an NSString?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by BadWolf13, May 21, 2010.

1. BadWolf13 macrumors 6502

I get an EXC_BAD_ACCESS error if I try to declare a property for an NSString as (readwrite, assign). I don't understand why this is a problem.

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

from http://developer.apple.com/mac/libr...ceptual/objectivec/articles/ocProperties.html

so is NSString scalar? Would you just assign the pointer to an NSString if you needed to store the value for a while? How are you using the property? Can you post the code that has the behavior you describe?

-Lee

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

NSStrings are objects. You have to retain objects.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

EDIT: Note to self: don't answer questions after 2AM.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So, if you use a typical NSString method (e.g., [aString stringByAppendingString:anotherString]), in a reference-counted environment, you will have a non-nil pointer to a string that will eventually be deallocated (autoreleased) - unless you retain it or use +alloc/-init... type creation at some point. This is the kind of thing that results in bad access exceptions - sending a message to nil does not result in an exception.

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

Yes, of course that is correct. Brain fart on my part.

7. BadWolf13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all, however two questions remain. One, I was able to use Assign with an object that I created, and it doesn't give me any error. Second, I'm using Garbage Collector, so I was ignoring all retain, release and autorelease commands. Is it still a good idea to use Retain for the property declaration?

Sorry, actually in another part of this same program, it lets me use Assign for an NSString and an NSMutableArray, as well as my created object. Is it an order of operations thing? Like it's trying to use the object before it has a value, and so gives the EXC_BAD_ACCESS error?

8. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210