Why can't I use MSN messenger on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Janna04, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Janna04 macrumors newbie

I just got a Mac (it's a Powerbook G4, brand-new, hand-me-down from my uncle), and it had an older version of MSN messenger installed on it. I tried signing in, but it told me I had to update my messenger in order to continue. I did, but a new window appeared with the MSN icon and an arrow pointing to the Applications folder. I dragged the icon towards the application folder, and then tried opening the messenger, but it didn't work. I even dragged it into my Dock, and when I click it, it doesn't open.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I suggest using Adium instead, but you're welcome to use Microsoft Messenger if you prefer. What happens when you download it from Microsoft's website?

3. Janna04 thread starter macrumors newbie

The same thing.

Does Adium support hotmail accounts?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. Janna04 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Why don't you click the link I provided and find out for yourself? :rolleyes:

7. nadyne macrumors 6502a

What version of Messenger did you install? Messenger 7 requires OS X 10.4.9 or later. Messenger 6 requires 10.3.9 or later. Make sure that you got the right version for your operating system.

If you've gotten the right version, and you've dragged it to your Application folder, what happens?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

8. Mick B macrumors newbie

Mick B

I Had the same issue and it refused to open even after reinstalling the program.I now use amsn and you get webcam support that messenger for mac doesn't support. No probs so far and it does support Hotmail .

9. Spencer69 macrumors newbie

MSN Messenger Adium..

Hiya, I am a new iMac user and have downloaded Adium. How can I update my contacts from my old MSN... and how can I delete the old MSN from my iMac ... thanks in advance... David

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Adium should automatically display your contacts since MSN stores them on the server rather than on your computer.

You can uninstall MSN simply by deleting the program from your Applications folder.

11. butchseaman macrumors member

butchseaman

Uninstall Process

That is amazing.... you can uninstall a program by deleting. That is a concept that is simple common sense that Gates and his bunch seemed to forgeten....

Life i so much easier with a :apple: