Why can't I use SwiftKey for everything?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by StuMcBill, Dec 18, 2014.

1. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

I'm new to this iPad and IOS world, and I have installed SwiftKey (which was my keyboard of choice on Android), however, for some things (passwords etc) my device seems to go back to the Apple Keyboard?

Is there anyway I can force swiftkey to be used all the time?

2. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

The password thing is a security issue. By using SwiftKey, you are sending whatever you type to them, so that they can provide you a better service. Now, do you really want to start sending them your passwords?

3. StuMcBill thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been doing it on Android for years and never had an issue.

4. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Okay. I'm just telling you the reason. If you've been providing SwiftKey with all your passwords for the past couple of years, that's on you.

5. StuMcBill thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actually 99.9% sure that none of your passwords are actually sent to SwiftKey!

6. imacken macrumors 65816

I'm not sure that is the reason, because Swype has the same issue and it allows Full Access to be denied.

I'm pretty sure it is less sinister than that. Why would you want a predictive keyboard to guess your passwords which are usually a bunch of nonsensical letters and numbers? It (and you!) would go mad with its attempts to make words out of your passwords!

The generic Apple keyboard is clearly more appropriate for the password entry task.

7. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Okay. When then, it's just Apple erring on the side of caution then.
    However, I wonder if you opt into the SwiftKey Cloud option, if your passwords are sent? It's all encrypted, as SwiftKey states, but do you really want to take the chance?

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple is playing it safe by NOT allowing 3rd party keyboards when you enter sensitive information. Can you just accept that?

and of all keyboards to use you chose that crappy one? :p

fleksy and Swype are better.

9. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I'd rather use the Apple keyboard for entering passwords and sensitive information. Apple always plays it's safe when it comes to security.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

No idea why people have to faff about with different keyboards anyway. Stock for me every time, and no predictive text. A keyboard should be a keyboard IMO.

#oldfuddyduddy

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Actually, Fleksy is a really good keyboard but I tend to go back to the stock one because of the issues that 3rd party keyboards are having.

Good how?

1. The keyboard size is adjustable
    2. You can go through suggested words by swiping up and down
    3. you can swipe right to left to delete a word
    4. Different colors to pick from
    5. Recent update added number row, gif keyboard, one handed use.

Give it a look http://fleksy.com/ios8/

Once the 3rd party keyboard API is fixed in iOS 8 I wont be going back to the stock keyboard anytime soon.

12. StuMcBill, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

StuMcBill thread starter macrumors 6502

Why can't I use SwiftKey for everything?

My main reason is distinguishing between upper and lower case letters, and utilising the dictionary I have built while using it on Android.

13. MikhailT macrumors 601

Just because you never had an issue doesn't make it an invalid risk. Can you be 100% that none of your passwords were uploaded without you knowing?

Apple has had this feature on OS X for years with the feature called Secure Input Mode. When it detects a secure field such as password fields, it cuts off access to all processes except the keyboard and the password field.

They're doing the same thing on iOS, anytime it detects a secure field, it is automatically cutting off all other processes, especially custom keyboards.

We've actually seen iOS users reporting that some of the passwords they've typed in (via regular text fields, not secured password fields) have shown up in their dictionary.

14. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

I can verify this. I thought it rather odd that one of my throwaway passwords displayed when I started typing it in.