Why cant i watch this

Mac_i_Am

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
I'm trying to watch this video on pbs.org but i get this message:

------------------------------------------------------------------
The page “FRONTLINE/World . Rough Cut. India: A Pound of Flesh | PBS” has content of MIME type “audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.
------------------------------------------------------------------

It should run on Quicktime or Real player :confused:
What can i do?

(Everything's updated on my computer)

Here's the link: http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/rough/2006/07/india_a_pound_o.html#

Thanks for the help!

Mac_i_Am

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
right, i dont have real player

thought it would run fine on quicktime alone
why would it need both? ::scratchhead::

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Because RealPlayer uses proprietary encoding, it doesn't work in anything except RealPlayer.
Just quit Safari, download the free player, install it, and then head back to that PBS site.

Mac_i_Am

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
nevermind... its working now

after the message, i select "large" for quicktime on the pop-up window and it plays.

wonder why it doesnt recognize it automatically

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Flip4Mac for the ugly windows media they have. I love Frontline. Have you seen country boys? It's so very long but I enjoyed it.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
KingYaba said:
Flip4Mac for the ugly windows media they have. I love Frontline. Have you seen country boys? It's so very long but I enjoyed it.
I love Frontline too! I never saw country boys. What's that about? I would have to say my favorite Frontline episode is "The American Justice System."
I also loved Walmart and The War in Iraq.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
bobber205 said:
I think it was the most compatible, but no longer is . :D
To this day, QuickTime and Windows Media seem to only run on Windows and Mac. RealPlayer runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, Palm, BeOS, and probably some other systems too.