Why can't iOS, Android and WebOS work on a common platform for this iMessage, BBM and

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dubnde, Jun 7, 2011.

1. dubnde macrumors regular

Something like Whatsapp or Liveprofile but with a bit more polish. Surely each will implement their own way but as long as they conform to common protocol, it should all work.

Surely I am naive

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Did RIM make Blackberry messenger available to other platforms?

3. dubnde thread starter macrumors regular

oh! If so great. Got to start with one I guess.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because apple enjoys being closed and proprietary. Sure they push some things out to open source but only when it serves their purpose.

There is little business justification (for them) to open this up and allow competitors the ability to use this stuff.

5. r2fa3l macrumors regular

This is like asking why don't all the countries in the world live under the same law.

6. dubnde, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011

dubnde thread starter macrumors regular

I hear you. There is no revenue for iMessage for Apple. I would argue if they manage to get it on other platforms, it is good for the Apple brand

Good laws have liberty at their core

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

There's just no reason for any of them to work together. You can't play cross-console multiplayer games, you can't watch a blu-ray on you HD-DVD player, and you certainly aren't going to be able to iMessage on gChat or BBM.

8. dubnde thread starter macrumors regular

lol. Good one. You can watch blu-ray on Sony, Philips and whatnot

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Any reason you left the second half of that sentence out?

on your HD-DVD player

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The beauty of iMessage is that there is virtually no setup. It autodetects if the other person is on an iOS 5 device & sends your message via iMessage instead of a text. The end user does nothing different, iOS does all the work.

Other platforms would have to rewrite their default texting app & if there was ever an update to iMessage, all the other platforms would have to update them. Basically, it would be a nightmare.

It's a nice competitive advantage Apple has over WP7, webOS & Android.

11. dubnde, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011

dubnde thread starter macrumors regular

That would be a different protocol. I was asking same protocol on different hardware

Yes. This is what I see is fantastic about iMessage. I have friends and relatives in different countries on iPhones and this will definitely reduce SMS costs as they normally have data connections. More so I do not need to install another app to achieve this.

12. gks macrumors 6502

There is revenue for Apple. It's called people staying with the iPhone because they enjoy the software so much that they can't live without it.

It's called vendor lock in. Don't like it? Don't use it.

Apple has no reason to help other platforms succeed. Their job is to make their platform the best. That means why open something up for other manufacturers so that they don't get the sales?

Stupid thread.

13. OMGwtfBBQwings macrumors regular

Actually BBM is coming to iPhone. At first it was a rumour that it'd arrive in April but RIM DENIED THIS AND SAID IT'D BE AVAILABLE at a later date.

14. dubnde thread starter macrumors regular

ok. thanks all. I was not trying to say everyone should use BBM or iMessage. Rather to come up with something common across all platforms. Thanks for the response.

15. gks macrumors 6502

I'll believe it when I see it. But at this point I don't think it'll happen.

16. JASApplications macrumors 65816

It would be awesome but unfortunately these big companies don't like each other :(

17. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

there is something common amongst all cell phone platforms, it's called text message.

18. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Gtalk would work fine and its free. To bad Steve is an arse.

19. sotorious macrumors 6502a

that would be great, and have a cross platform video chat as well.

20. gks macrumors 6502

Gtalk wouldn't work

It doesn't allow you to easily send videos and texts or other data when the user isn't online. It also doesn't have read and delivery receipts.

Plus, GTalk is a Google service, why would Apple use a Google product that isn't already entrenched (Maps for example) when they don't have to?

21. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Use Kik. Cross platform chatting with Android and iPhone users. Free.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Clearly you don't understand that the OP doesn't want to have to pay for text messages.:p

But I agree with you. Never really understood the draw of BBM other than it was free.

23. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Being "free" is a huge benefit. Also, having delivery/read receipts are great.

I use KiK (which is like iMessage) and my friend sent me an important message while I was at the movies. I read the message quickly but didn't want to respond (because I didn't want to further annoy people in theater); he saw that I had read the message & knows I got it. Very useful in those situations.

24. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It'll never happen, the shareholders would abandon ship as it's the thread RIM is hanging on by.
    Source (of the lies!): Macrumors forum

25. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Whatsapp works on Symbian, iOS, QNX and Android. No problem here.