Why cant lower model 27 imac have quad core?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hing, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Hing macrumors regular

Any one know how much of a difference between 3.06 duocore and i5?

2. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

3.06 has 2 cores while the i5 has 4 cores (i think?) if thats true then the 3.06 will be faster for apps that only take advantage of 1 cor but the i5 will be better for multi threaded apps

thats only true if the i5 is quad core, if ur looking to buy get the i5

3. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Because they don't share the same motherboard? :p
    I have no idea in fact, but it seems logical.

For like $300 more in CAD, I don't see what's really wrong. Quad-core + Better graphics

Core i5 is new and it's pretty freaking fast... I've seen benchmarks and honestly, between the 2.66GHz i5 and the 2.8GHz i7, you're almost better with the i5. The i7 scores better in some, but the i5 also scores better in some and in the end, they're pretty equal. So don't pay that additional $220 CAD and just get the quad-core.

4. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Apple can get you to spend more on the higher end.

5. nOw2 macrumors regular

Isn't the obvious answer, 'because it wouldn't be low end' ?

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Apple and low-end are not words that go together.... at least, not for what they're selling them for.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

They were saying on the last episode of macbreak weekly that the quads can throttle down two cores and boost the other two depending on processing needs, so there may not be any difference between the two on less demanding apps.

8. alent1234 macrumors 603

apple sells higher end parts together on higher end systems for more profit. same reason why you can't get an ATI card on the low end imac but have to spend $300 for an extra 500GB of storage and the better graphics.

9. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

even apple (the most expensive average computers i can think of [​IMG]) don't wanna rip people off for stuff they dont need so they introduce more budget imacs to increase their market range

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The answer is heat. The Core i5 and i7 processors put out too much of it. They are rated at a TDP of 95W*. The previous iMacs only went so far as 55W (might have been 45W). Evidently the 24" iMac just couldn't handle the cooling required for a quad core, hence it no longer existing as it wouldn't fit in to the range.

*Apple may have the pick of the crop to get better parts, but they may also just be using a stock processor.

11. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

cool, i know the i7 mobiles can do that but i wasn't sure if the desktops could, good to know