Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Had a replacement a week ago, got a yellow tinge to the screen. Took it back today and low and behold, the screen is white but the contrast is too dark which I didn't immediately notice. Compared it to the ones in store and they were much brighter.

Why didn't you ensure you got what you wanted I hear you say?

Well the genius said they come warm or clear and he couldn't guarantee what I would get, as he would only open one. Not the best service tbh.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
This Thread is ridiculous. You're holding apple and the iPhone to a standard that no one in the market promises or is expected to deliver. 99% of people couldn't see what you are referring to.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Nay.

I am with the OP. There isn't a high standard because not enough people demand it of companies. Product quality should be consistent. I say return it as many times as it takes to get one that is satisfactory. These phones aren't cheap.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I got a replacement for the yellow screen and bad compass. Now its perfect but have the vibragate issue.

ijohnbro

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
these nitpicky people just ruin return policies and raise prices for us normal folk

I had two Htc Thunderbolts and the screens were slightly different, but they were at least both the same color screen. one was a little bit brighter than the other, that was the only difference I could see. Both had the normal white background. No tint on some and some tint on others, yellow, white, I would rather have a phone with the normal white background. That's not asking much the yellow tint obviously doesn't belong there.

kozz

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
these nitpicky people just ruin return policies and raise prices for us normal folk

I'm with the nitpicky as you say.

When I pay a few hundred dollars for something I expect it to work right. My battery life sucks and it sounds like a blender when it vibrates.

I have had one replacement sent to me but it would not hold a 3g signal at my house to save my life so I put it back in a box and returned the replacement.

I will be calling again and crossing my fingers that I get a good replacement. I have actually thought about driving to the apple store but that would be 2 1/2 hours of my time wasted, which I should not have to waist if the quality control process actually worked.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Agree with OP. had to get a replacement for a LEGIT battery issue, the phone wouldn't stay charging when plugged in as soon as it reached 100%. Now this one has the ridiculous vibrate issue. I'm so mad. Going back tomorrow for another swap. I don't care about yellow screen or warm whatever it is. I like that actually lol.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Call me nick picky, I just want a phone that is similar to the one I bought. Don't think it's much to ask considering they want £500 for it. That's the thing, they want to charge that amount for it, then yes, I do want it to be perfect.

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
Nay.

I am with the OP. There isn't a high standard because not enough people demand it of companies. Product quality should be consistent. I say return it as many times as it takes to get one that is satisfactory. These phones aren't cheap.

Its very easy - vote with your wallet.

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Its very easy - vote with your wallet.

I'm another that agrees with the op. The amount of times I've had to take stuff back to Apple with minor and in some cases, major faults is simply not good enough.

I've found that sometimes, you take something back for x reason, to find that the replacement has a considerably longer lasting battery than the original, meaning that your original battery was not functioning correctly too.

It's all very well suggesting that you vote with your wallet, but many people will have invested fairly heavilly in the app store, and may also prefer iOS to Android or something else. As someone else said, it shouldn't be too much to ask for a comparitively expensive product to be of consistantly high quality.

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
I'm another that agrees with the op. The amount of times I've had to take stuff back to Apple with minor and in some cases, major faults is simply not good enough.

I've found that sometimes, you take something back for x reason, to find that the replacement has a considerably longer lasting battery than the original, meaning that your original battery was not functioning correctly too.

It's all very well suggesting that you vote with your wallet, but many people will have invested fairly heavilly in the app store, and may also prefer iOS to Android or something else. As someone else said, it shouldn't be too much to ask for a comparitively expensive product to be of consistantly high quality.

I guess Ive just been very lucky then. Ive never had to replace an Apple device that was faulty upon purchase (let alone two consecutive returns/problems). I really do not believe there is a major problem with apples quality control.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think there are quality control issues surrounding iPhones but non mac products in general. The sheer volume that are manufactured in such a short space of time can only negatively affect quality control on iPhones. Doesn't help that certain suppliers produce better retina screens than others. Consistancy is key!

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
Im on the fence about this.

My ip4 screen runs cooler...definitely alot more blue in that one. I have two ip4s, black 64 gig and white 64 gig (work pays for one :) )) On both the ip4s colors looks slightly less saturated, a little more washed out than my ip4.

The white ip4s is one week older than the black ip4s and that appears to be runner "cooler" than the black, and also is looks like it is running cooler than when I initially bought it which may lend credence to the theory that the screens require some burn in time to render colors correctly.

Id like to tell myself that at the end of the day, it really just is a phone, if it were a computer monitor it would be a different story and a much bigger deal Im probably going to wait it out another week and see what I think, but to be honest I am much to busy and have other things to worry about than this and will probably forget to do anything about it.

I do have to agree though that at this price point you would think there would be more sample to sample consistency, more accurate color rendition, etc..Im really not so sure why this is so hard to achieve in this day and age..

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Had a replacement a week ago, got a yellow tinge to the screen. Took it back today and low and behold, the screen is white but the contrast is too dark which I didn't immediately notice. Compared it to the ones in store and they were much brighter.

Why didn't you ensure you got what you wanted I hear you say?

Well the genius said they come warm or clear and he couldn't guarantee what I would get, as he would only open one. Not the best service tbh.

Guess you want him to open 10 boxes for you! They should refund your money and send you packing! It is not them that is the problem, it is YOU:eek:

oshia86

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
When I had my 3gs replaced, the first phone had a broken microphone, and the second had its bezel come loose before I walked out the store. This is all during one visit to the Apple store. On the third, the bezel had a very rough edge on it, and actually put a little a small cut in the employees hand. I finally settled on the 4th phone.

That was absolutely ridiculous. I will always go over a replacement very well before I will sign the paper now.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Guess you want him to open 10 boxes for you! They should refund your money and send you packing! It is not them that is the problem, it is YOU:eek:

If it takes 10 boxes for them to give me a screen that is of the same quality that I paid £500 for, then yes whatever it takes. Why should I have to compromise for a substandard screen at that price?

oshia86

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
If it takes 10 boxes for them to give me a screen that is of the same quality that I paid £500 for, then yes whatever it takes. Why should I have to compromise for a substandard screen at that price?

I agree. No reason whatsoever to hold a company to lacking standards. If we put up with crappy service, that is what we will get. Remember folks, Apple is still a company that is out to make money, and there are people dedicated to finding every possible way to do that.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
They sure do come with a lot of problems. After reading Steve Jobs biography I think he is more OCD than anyone on this board. I'm surprised Apple doesn't improve the quality control on all their products. Guess its a sign of the times.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

I agree. No reason whatsoever to hold a company to lacking standards. If we put up with crappy service, that is what we will get. Remember folks, Apple is still a company that is out to make money, and there are people dedicated to finding every possible way to do that.

I agree
For 700 bucks these things sure come with a lot of problems..

Well one thing for sure. You are making sure there are lots of refurbs available for everyone else. With any luck ina few months you might even get you old phone back!:p

Cancelled
Jun 19, 2010

if your happy to pay £500+ for a product thats not up to standard then more fool you.
if its not right you take it back for a replacement.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
if your happy to pay £500+ for a product thats not up to standard then more fool you.
if its not right you take it back for a replacement.

Or you can obsess over every minute insignificant detail and whine about it publicly. I wonder how many times your food's been spit upon after incessant complaining.

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space

because there's nothing wrong with your phone. There are people out there with legitimate hardware issues that render the phone nearly useless and you're whining about screen color temperature. FFS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.