Why can't the iPod app shuffle music by genre like Samsung's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueMoonForever, Dec 24, 2013.

1. BlueMoonForever macrumors 6502

Samsung's music app allows you to shuffle the songs by the genre. Why can't the iPhone's iPod App do this?

2. JackieInCo macrumors 601

You create a playlist. It can be done and it's very simple.

3. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

I should't have to do that. Seems like more work, when there could be a shuffle button by genre. I don't always want to listen to the same songs, anyway.

4. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Because Apple is stupid like that and doesn't give you as many options as Samsung. Of course they're no better, and now lock down their bootloaders.

5. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do you meticulously keep genre information on each of the songs you add to your library?

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I know I do.

I would love to shuffle by genre.

More options won't hurt anybody. Apple's not perfect.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No I'm asking because the vast majority of users tend to keep their libraries in disarray (I know mine is pretty messy).

I think genius was introduced to kind of help users like that to stay somewhat within a genre when they haven't done the upkeep to differentiate one song from the other.

In my opinion, however, if iTunes lets you choose the field and change the information it sure as hell should be able to make use of that info instead of just statically showing you it.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I agree. That's stupid.

I've done the playlist workaround but I shouldn't have to.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've been quite disappointed with the lack of refinement to iTunes lately.

It still shouldn't be a chore to manage my iPad and iPhone. I have manually manage on yet I'm still finding things disappearing or reappearing on each device when plugged in.

Don't get me started on the abysmal failure that is iBooks. It should be dead simple to manage the books on my iPad, instead its a friggin headache.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I am going to go even one up on you.

I always thought my music player should be able to shuffle based on the mood am in. I have a few in my collection that I consider uplifting, the player should be able to figure this out (are we not in the 21 century big data?) and pool those for me. I shouldn't have to tell it which.