Why Can't the shuffle have more space capacity plus "Shake To Shuffle"

Discussion in 'iPod' started by I-Bot, Sep 14, 2008.

1. I-Bot macrumors member

I-Bot

I really don't have a problem with 2 gigs but I was wondering if it's possible for Apple to add any more then that plus why can't they add an accelerometer for Shake to Shuffle, I mean I was thinking about this and it is called the shuffle for a reason, just remove the shuffle switch on the top and add an accelerometer... Is it possible to add more capacity and Shake to shuffle?

Also if you want to post any other features the shuffle can have that Apple hasn't added.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. I-Bot thread starter macrumors member

I-Bot

OK if the size is the main limitation...look how thin the new Nano is and i'm sure that maybe 3 to 4 gigs would be able to fit in a Nano plus i'm sure they'd be able to find a small enough accelerometer for the shuffle, I mean so much possibilities with such a small player yet Apple does nothing but change it's colors.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Cost. The shuffle is a bargain basement player. More capacity = more expensive flash chips = higher cost. Accelerometer = additional chip = higher cost.

5. I-Bot thread starter macrumors member

I-Bot

I was hoping someone would give me an answer like that because as you can see...New Nano.........8 GB=Lower cost.......Accelerometer=additional chip=same cost as previous Nano.......yet they don't do this with a shuffle.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

True: but a larger cost so a larger profit margin for Apple. They can take a little margin hit to entice buyers. The shuffle is likely to have a much lower margin in $ terms so there is a lot less wiggle room.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Shuffles got a decent price drop last time around.

Also, it's already incredibly easy to shuffle on the Shuffles. (just make sure the hardware switch is set to 'shuffle' instead of 'continuous' and just hit the FF button .. presto, new shuffled song).

8. I-Bot thread starter macrumors member

I-Bot

I guess, I just wish the shuffle had more capabilities then it does now but seeing as how it's small, cheap and no screen, I guess its hard to really do anything with it.....but I wish apple would atleast release one in Black.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The problem is that the shuffle is basically a dead-end product. It's not promoting the iPhone OS like the iPhone and the iPod Touch. It's not very photogenic like the Nano. It can't run additional software or sell Nike+ hardware. It's basically a product that only exists to fill a price slot. I imagine it might well not exist next year...

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

More space and more features would just complicate a device which was built with simplicity in mind.

Sounds like you'd be much happier with a Nano, because that's essentially what you want.

11. I-Bot thread starter macrumors member

I-Bot

Ok just now I understand it can't have tons of features but atleast come out with more colors maybe...A black would be nice, A green, A yellow, etc....you get the point, if the new Nano's could come in 9 colors, the shuffles could come it a variety of colors.

EricNau: Yes i want the new Nano's but until either Christmas or end of October, i'm broke, I do want the new Nano's but if my salary comes and it isn't enough, i'll have to buy a shuffle....2 gigs.

12. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i don't really think you made a "gotcha!" point.

the shuffle and the nano cater to two different markets. the shuffle is for those who want the absolutely cheapest ipod possible. no screen, basic music.

the nano is the mid-range player. has a screen and other features that make it a premium over the shuffle. the price point is probably due to expected volume of sales allowing them to purchase components at deeper discounts.

13. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

This is part of the reason why Apple lowered its gross margin guidance after last quarter. They are putting more features into products at the same or lower price (look at the touch as well for an example). Costs them more to make, hence lowers the gross margin. My guess is they are hoping to make it up in volume.