Why can't TimeMachine restore from /Volumes/Time Machine Backups?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by fearlessfool, Oct 10, 2014.

1. fearlessfool, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

fearlessfool macrumors newbie

Setup: I have Mavericks running on a MacBook Pro. I backup to a ReadyNAS RAID array (via WiFi most of the time, via ethernet if I have a lot to xfer).

My primary drive started failing, so I had it replaced with a 1TB SSD. (Yes, it's much faster than what I had before!!!) During initial setup, I asked it to restore from the TimeMachine backup.

It restored some -- not all -- files. For example, files I had added to /Applications were not restored. But a bigger problem was in my home directory. Among other directories, ~/Projects (containing all my development projects) wasn't restored at all.

Using the browser, I navigated to /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBookPoor, where I can see all the TM backups (including the symlink at Latest). I can also see various versions of my ~/Projects directory inside its subdirectories. Not surprisingly, not all versions contain all the files. For example, Latest/MacBookHD/Users/r/Projects only contains the two most recent projects I was working on.

So I assume I need launch TimeMachine to restore the full set of Project directories. When I launch TimeMachine, I can see "Today"'s files, and I can see all the *dates* of previous backups. But I can't navigate to those previous backups: the dates are displayed in purple (as are the "forward" and "backward" buttons), and clicking on them has no effect.

Since I can see the files under /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/*, I know the data is actually there. But I can't get TimeMachine to display them in order to restore them. Why isn't Time Machine able to access the backups?

(P.S.: For the time being, I will keep TimeMachine backups disabled -- I don't want the system touching the known good Time Machine Backup files.)

2. Bruno09, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Try this :

once in Time Machine "Starwars" interface, select in the left side bar the name of the computer.

Or hit : Cmd + Shift + c

Before / after :

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. TeamSAM macrumors newbie

That did the trick- sorry I didn't see it before and thanks for pointing me in the right direction!