Why can't we add SMS tones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brett3rThanU, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular

I can't stand any of the SMS tones that come loaded on the iPhone and unfortunately I've found we can't add new ones :( Why in the world would they put this restriction on the phone, it doesn't make sense to me.

2. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

3. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Because Apple doesn't want people using SMS, they only included SMS in the phone because they probably couldn't convince AT&T to sell a phone without it.

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I wouldn't be surprised!

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Along the same lines, why can't we change the email tone at all? That little bong noise is too short and not very loud. I have push email now, except I can never hear it when mail arrives. Kind of defeats the purpose. Also, we get notifications on the locked screen for SMS, calls, and voicemail. Why no email notifyer? I have to unlock the phone and check the home screen to check if I have new emails.

6. ShaqFu macrumors member

That is what I loved about my Treo I had the following ring tones:

1) Normal Callers
    2) Blocked Callers
    3) Individual Callers (in my phone book)
    4) Voicemail
    5) Text Messages

the VM/TXT default ringtones are not loud enough.

7. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

check out taskbar notifier

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Had that installed on my original jailbroken iPhone. Only problem is now I'm on the iPhone 3g with 2.0 software.

9. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Apple adds what they want to, not what the consumer wants. Either that or this isn't at the top of their "priorities" list. I really wonder what the hell is at the top of their priorities list.. the next update to have new features will be interesting because I really want to know what they want to give to the consumer besides video recording, MMS and copy/paste.

10. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

If you really want to get the feature added, talking about it here doesn't help.

Talking about it here does:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

The more of us that request these features, the better the odds of getting them is.

11. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I agree...it seems really weird that functionality was left out. The list of sounds are not good. You should be able to choose from all of the ringtones.