Why can't we buy it online?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoganT, Jul 8, 2008.

1. LoganT macrumors 68020

Is it because of the unlockers? Well if that's so why can't they just require us to sign up for a contract online? I can go to the ATT website and buy any phone I want. It's actually quite simple.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I would think that you can't buy it online right now because of the launch. I don't recall if you could buy the original online when it launched but I would be surprised in a few weeks after things have settled if they still don't offer it online.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Is it because of the unlockers? YES

Why can't they require a signup online? Good question since I did that for my first cell phone about 5 years ago. If you want my opinion, AT&T got scared about unlockers (thanks a lot, guys) and went way overboard by padlocking the doors and putting a 7'2" ninja-trained bouncer a the door. Kinda reminds me of the recording industry's response to Napster.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Excellect analogy! :D

5. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

That's a good point. Is AT&T worried that people are going to hack the AT&T site and get it without a contract?

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I think you overestimate the general populations knowledge of web server exploits ;)

7. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

It's not stopping me. I'm buying it and there is a 99% chance that I'm going to unlock it as soon as it's possible. (travel)