Why can't we calibrate our own screens?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jul 1, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You know how helpful it would be for users to be able to calibrate the screen color/contrast/temperature? I mean, Apple could even put it way back hidden deep inside Settings as an advanced option for advanced users. We can calibrate our desktop monitors with ease... why not our mobile display? Some people like blue screens, some people like yellow, some people like sharp contrast, and some people like low contrast.

It just makes so much sense to me for them to add a color profiler to the iPhone. Let's say an average user is unhappy with their screen temperature or color.... if they didn't know about the advanced settings, they could bring it to the Apple Genius Bar and the genius could fix it for them.

There seems to be a HUGE inconsistency between each iPhone screen.

I wish there was some sort of hidden button combination that puts the iPhone in a service mode where you can fine tune the screen to *your liking*

Just an idea.

2. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I agree 100%

It would reduce the amount of returns to the Apple store for warm/cool color temp phones by loads I bet....

Even if they would just add some sort of API functionality/variables that would be available to 3rd party developers, it would open the door for 3rd party apps to allow this functionality.

I actually wrote an email about this to steve@apple.com a week ago :D

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

I couldn't agree more - it would be a fantastic idea to have a screen calibration tool built in to the OS.

4. datamage macrumors member

I like this idea. :)

Most people don't care about their screen temperature (that sounds odd), but for those that do, an advanced option buried in the menus is a great idea.

5. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

but it also could be very bad.... users could make there temperature so hot they'l burn there selfs / melt the device..

you never know what lenths peopel go to kill themselfs these days.

6. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

7. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

lol

8. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

How about Apple just improve/sack their Quality Control department in the Chinese sweat shop. If the build quality of the phone is anything to go by, they maybe use piss poor screens.

9. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Agreed, especially with the extra push for movies by adding the ability to purchase directly on the device. I don't watch movies on the iphone myself, but I suppose some may want warmer screen. Maybe even like the simple, movie/sport/normal modes that are common to about every television.

10. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I dunno but the Gamma on my 3G-S is off. Everything looks slightly overexposed.

11. kolax macrumors G3

Could be a useful tool for developers.

An API to adjust the screen temperature etc.