Why can't we get more dynamic wallpapers?

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
So we have been stuck with the same Dynamic wallpapers since ios7...why can't people make more dynamic wallpapers and add them on the app store?

I would love to have a live wallpaper on ios8 on my iPhone 6....

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I never said you couldn't use your own... All I am asking is the addition of more dynamic wallpapers and the ability for developers to create apps that they can sell live wallpapers too.

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Why would you need an api? The phone just essentially moves the wallpaper up, down, left, and right based on the position of the phone. I see no reason why third party wallpapers can't do this.
That's perspective zoom. He's talking about dynamic (animated) wallpapers.

hbennis

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
That's perspective zoom. He's talking about dynamic (animated) wallpapers.
That's parallax vs animated wallpapers.

For parallax, any wallpaper will do, for animated will need Apple to release some new ones.

For animated, it's a novelty Apple (must) have realised not a lot of people use (assuming only). It just draws battery for no reasons, at least that's how I think about it.

Reactions: ksbl

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
At this point I don't expect much now, we will probably see more goodies added for the S model next year which will have better battery life and probably an even faster processors.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I have never used one myself, and have never seen anyone else using them.

It drains my phone's battery just looking at them from settings.

Reactions: MacQork

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I love them and am also confused why Apple has not done more in this area.

And judging by this thread, it seems that even die-hard Mac fans have barely even heard of them. So there's certainly a lot more Apple could be doing, apparently!

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
California
I love them and am also confused why Apple has not done more in this area.

And judging by this thread, it seems that even die-hard Mac fans have barely even heard of them. So there's certainly a lot more Apple could be doing, apparently!
I agree. Remember the dynamic bubble background in the 12 Days of Christmas app they put out? Kind of black with gold dynamic bubbles? That was really cool. Most of the current colors are too light. I thought they would add it to the options at some point but nothing.

Reactions: ksbl

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
I had assumed we'd see animated wallpapers for sale in the iTunes Store by now. Or at least a workaround to load your own.

Maybe animations are more of an Android thing, and the lack of interest in them on iOS is one of the markers of the differences in the mentality of iOS people vs Android people. Less is more...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.