Why can't we turn off cover flow yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jamz00, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Jamz00 macrumors member

Apple made an option to turn off cover flow on the nano but why not iphones/ipod touches? I have never used cover flow and never plan to. We need to start emailing them to add it in an update or something.

2. Ward macrumors newbie

Ward

Piloting a miniature submarine in your brain.
    I like cover flow.

If you don't like it, turn your device 90 degrees.

I'd rather petition Apple for something worthwhile, like customisable SMS tones.

3. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Would be great to be able to turn cover flow off (or an option to lock the phone portrait/landscape)

Never liked cover flow from the start

4. duky macrumors 6502

What does it matter? It rarely, if ever, switches to cover flow by mistake for me..I don't like landscape texting or emailing, does that mean I should start a petition for them to add an option to disable it? You're never going to get the option so you might as well move on the next (hopefully more important) thing to complain about..

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

If it doesn't matter to you then good

Last time I looked forums where for discussing things, if people want to discuss why we dont have an option for this then whats the problem

perhaps you should take your own advice, move on and read a thread that you think is important

6. macboy4 macrumors regular

I think this would be a useful option. For example, I've been using my iPhone for GPS with a window mount in landscape position. It's really annoying that, in order to quickly navigate my music, I have to reorient the window mount to portrait, select my music, and the reorient to landscape. It would be nice if I could avoid all the hassle.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

While I agree with the first part of your statement about not really being bothered with cover flow, the rest seems pretty defeatist. If you don't like things in your life, do you just accept them because you're powerless to change them? If you don't like the president do you just sit and home and not vote or try and change the system in any way? I mean, I didn't think AT&T would offer the 3GS to 3G owners at a subsidized price just because everyone was complaining about it, yet apparently they did...

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because SMS tones being customized is serious business over cover flow. :rolleyes:
    Why not petition Apple for something truly worthwhile like being able to attach more than just photos to e-mails?

That's a leap. :cool: It's cover flow ... nothing more.

9. 226896 Guest

I'm one of the iPhone users who has never cared for landscape mode in any app apart from Safari. Since 3.0, texting people in bed whilst led on my side (if I've just woke up or something) is now impossible becuase it switches to landscape. Would it REALLY be that hard for Apple to add an 'on / off' slider to toggle landscape mode? No.

10. Acronym macrumors 68000

+1 i think there should be a lock landscape/portrait mode option, i also think there should be a proper landscape homescreen view :p

i also think sms tones should be customizable sans jailbreak

11. Maverickster macrumors regular

Exactly. Same reason here.

--Matt

12. Ward macrumors newbie

Ward

Piloting a miniature submarine in your brain.
    SMS tones are serious to me. I'm deaf and the dinky Apple tones are just pathetic. I need something tuned to my needs - ie., loud, repeating and high pitched.

13. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

having homescreen landscape would be completely pointless, every time you move your iphone it would rotate just like landscape on text now, one slight tilt to the screen and landscape comes up even when you dont want it to. Plus the layout wouldnt be able to hold the total applications you would by holding it in portrait mode. and on top of it the dock would only fit 4 apps on it unless they made it so that portrait could hold more, its a good idea in some sense but it makes the phones dynamics so complex that it renders it useless.

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Should be an option to disable.

I like the feature, but don't always want it on

15. cenetti macrumors 6502

Agreed! It's a pain in the azz. It switches to cover flow accidentally all the time. Right when I am doing cardio.... and then gets stuck there... etc etc etc..

16. mstier09 macrumors regular

Come to the darkside (lightside IMO) and jailbreak your phone! Theres a handy Rotation Inhibitor that does exactly what you guys want! One of the many reasons to jailbreak :D

17. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

You just beat me to it :p and that works with app store apps that have rotation (but somehow accelerometer games still work)

18. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

jailbreak, install rotation inhibitor, coverflow disabled, I love it.

19. cenetti macrumors 6502

done and done... thanks god!

I hated that useless cover flow thingy.... thank you JailBreak Man! You saved me a lot of frustration ! :D