Why can't we view MSWord/.doc files in Safari? We can on iPhone.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zub3qin, Oct 20, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

When I click to link containing a .doc (MS Word) file from my iPhone, it displays the Word file in a new Safari window.

The same goes for Firefox.

But when I try on Safari 3 on my Mac, it just downloads the file, and I have to open the .doc file with another program.

Is there a way to view doc files natively in Safari?

Thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i too want to view .doc,.xls,.ppt in safari. the windows boxes at my uni have internet explorer set to view office docs. its very handy and improves your workflow by not opening another app.
    the OS X way is to download it and then locate that file and open it with pages/word/OO. having it open in safari in another tab would be great. there is a plugin for viewing .doc in safari but its outdated and doesnt work with safari 3. apple please enable .doc,.xls,.ppt viewing in safari! thankyou :apple:

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes. I use Manfred Schubert's Word Browser Plugin. BTW, we will know for certain on Friday, but I believe that this functionality is a standard feature of Leopard.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Honestly, I couldn't stand that feature when I used to work on Windows computers. It essentially opened up full MS Word inside of Explorer. But then if you wanted to edit the file, things got confusing... is it a word document or a web page? How do you save? Are you saving the html or the underlying document? What does the "back" button do?

Maybe things have gotten better now (this was several years ago), but this feature was not useful to me. When I'm in Word, I want to be fully in Word.

5. sanford macrumors 65816

Safari 3 is beta. It's the veneer that runs on Tiger without a lot of the underlying Leopard framework -- framework that is in the iPhone OS. Leopard will support native viewing of .doc files, and I think one or two others, maybe. Should just pop in Safari 3 under Leopard. Firefox runs on the Mozilla webkit and they must have their own framework for displaying .doc format files.

Basic answer: you should be able to next Friday.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats the one that i said didnt work!

i hope safari in leopard opens word docs! that would be awesome. i would just use this as a quick review of the document and not to edit it.
    again its much more quicker than downloading open with pages/word. safari already opens pdfs and in leopard it has a new groovy beze, to save it in the downloads stack.
    if opening docs in safari isnt in leopard, i hope there is an option to automagically open in pages. that would be equally as good.

7. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Thanks very much for your quick and helpful response!

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First, you did not give the specific name or version of the plugin. Second, Word Browser Plugin works just fine with my installation of Safari 3.0.3 (522.12.1).