Why can't Windows 7 see my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Richard200sx, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Richard200sx macrumors newbie

I have been searching on here and google etc for the answer to this problem.

I have a windows 7 home premium machine and my iMac running lion. On the mac I can see the windows machine and connect to shared folders etc no problem. However I am unable to even see the mac on the windows machine even after messing for ages with the settings. They are both in the workgroup Workgroup.

There are plenty of guides on how to get the mac to see the pc but none the other way that work. So is there anyone out there who can help me to see my mac on my windows 7 machine?

Cheers,

Richard

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You should be able to type the address of the share in directly to access it, at least I think Premium has at least this basic connectivity tool included. The Premium doesn't have the necessary full networking tools included (Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate have them included) to allow you to see the Mac and have full connectivity. Even with the tools of the other versions, it is not guaranteed. I realize Home is sufficient for most, but really wish they would just get rid of the multiple versions and go the way of the other OSs (OS X, Unix, Linux, etc). They generally have client and server versions and leave it at that. The problem with several versions is that no one is really sure what they need or have, just give them all of it is what I say!

3. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

One other thing to check. Make sure your Windows 7 machine is not a part of a "homegroup" in the network settings. If I remember correctly, if it is part of a "homegroup" instead of a workgroup, W7 wont see anything else but other W7 machines in the "homegroup".

4. hungry ghost macrumors newbie

Thanks - that's just solved a mystery for me!