Why ceramic only in white?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by powerbook911, Sep 7, 2016.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm not sure I would want to wear a white watch. Indeed, I probably wouldn't want to.

I wonder why the ceramic model wasn't available in black as well? Think we might see more colors later on? Any reasons why they couldn't?

Thanks!

2. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They most likely will because only one model in the new Edition collection is not normal. After all, they started with only one Space Black model, probably for the exclusivity.

3. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

well..... just did a quick google of ceramic watches and while there are other colors (brown, blue) the color that comes up most is white! so I guess that's why?

if it sells well, I can see them doing other colors!

4. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

It looks like a glaring omission on the Apple Store page. Looks like there is space for the missing color right there.

5. powerbook911, Sep 7, 2016

powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well that will make it tough for me to get another Stainless Black if Black Ceramic is just around corner. The warranty is much better on the ceramic too, 2 years standard and Apple Care puts you out to 3 years.

Hum, further thinking...

It would likely not look much different than the Space Black Stainless, so maybe they saw no point?

6. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Don't forget that the ceramic is CONSIDERABLY more expensive than Stainless Steel. Over Can$1700 for Ceramic with a Sport Band! (Compares to ~$800 for SB SS with Sport Band).

As for more colors? Well that is so the early adopters will buy white now and then decide they MUST have the new color Apple releases in the spring.

7. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 7, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Even if you do get the Space Black Series 2, you can charge it and AC+ to an Amex card (or equivalent) and you'll gain 3 years of protection against manufacturing defects (no accidental damage protection in the 3rd year though).

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I think it leaves room for additional colors (shades?) next spring.

Bunch of different shades used in Rado watches:
    http://www.rado.com

9. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

If you want ceramic and are willing to pay for it, but don't want white, definitely wait.

I expect if it is popular, Apple will come out with more colors or at least glossy black.

Apple has already shown that they will update Watch colors and styles much more frequently than hardware upgrades.

10. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I would love the white ceramic if it has a ceramic link or at least came with a black link (which i think would look amazing) but I am not paying that much to get coupled with a sport band ($30 on a 1300 dollar watch....)

11. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Has anyone seen images of men wearing the ceramic watch? Apple's site seem to only show it on women.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Oh, come on. They merely figured that white blouse and black skirt (to coordinate with it) would look better on a woman than a guy, that's all.

13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

14. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

A Jet Black ceramic Watch would be nice. And bands designed specifically for the Edition would be excellent (e.g. Link, leather, etc.).

15. profets macrumors 68040

Well there is the space black which is likely quite close to the look of what a polished black ceramic watch would be.

I wish we had the opposite - an all white version of the Jet Black iPhone 7.

16. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

That will come with iPhone 7s/8.

JB7 already have to wait for Nov, while other are still 2-3 weeks, looks like Apple test color model is a hit.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's probably why they've opted to start with polished white ceramic, as there's nothing else in the collection like it. However, polished black ceramic would be blacker than Space Black and it looks different enough. Even plasma ceramic looks different enough from SS for people to consider it. They'll eventually expand the new Edition collection with options like these.