Why choose AT&T 4G vs Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HazChem, Mar 16, 2012.

1. HazChem macrumors regular

I just picked up an AT&T iPad only because I had an iPad 2 AT&T edition. However, I'm noticing on here that Verizon's the way to go based on the coverage, hot spot and that you can get AT&T SIM working with some adjustments.

So my question is, besides the extra GB for $30, will folks who went with AT&T version chime in on why?

My intent isn't to bash AT&T. I'd like a reason to stick with my purchase as opposed to going back and going with Verizon.

2. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I thought I read from somewhere that Verizon is bumping the 2GB for $30 to 3GB for $30, or was I dreaming... :confused:

3. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

Just because I can I guess. I've had a HORRIBLE experience with Verizon in the past and just will never give them anymore of my business. I'm in DC and AT&T has ample coverage for me here and most places I travel for work.

AT&T customer service- business care has been great to me the 6 years I've been with them so that's why I went with AT&T. No issues with coverage and I get more for my $30.00 plan.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The way to success is to choose the carrier with the best coverage in your area. This has been true since day one of cellular systems. No carrier is perfect and that's why they have coverage maps. Anyone who chooses a phone first and carrier second is going to suffer.

5. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

6. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

7. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Absolutely accurate.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ridiculous advice.

OP, there is no definitive answer to your question, especially since you neglect to mention where you live. AT&T's coverage is spottier, but the network is less congested where there is coverage. Speeds will vary depending on where you are.

9. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I'm in DC as well and AT&T's LTE coverage has been amazing so far.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Even though my iPhone 4 is on AT&T, I went with Verizon simply due to the free hotspot feature.

Though now I know why they included it. I have only used the cell data for maybe about 10 minutes and I already used 100 MB...... :eek: At this rate, I will be blowing by 2 GB in no time.....

11. andyadler macrumors member

I already have an android phone with Verizon 4G service. Also, I live in New Orleans, which is due shortly to get AT&T LTE coverage. So for me, it made sense to go with AT&T when I bought my new iPad. What I will end up doing, probably, is using my Verizon unlimited 4G hotspot to tether to my iPad.

12. MarkG21 macrumors regular

Because I get great AT&T service at my vacation home whereas I would not get any service from Verizon. Some what of an easy choice for me.

13. Philthy84 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I get a discount with AT&T from the company I work for so I'm paying about $37 for the 5GB plan when I need to use it.

14. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Is that for a contractual data plan vs. a month-to-month? I'm a Premier AT&T member so I get a discount for my iPhone data plan, so I'mwondering how that translates to the iPad

15. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I had the Verizon iPad 2 and never turned on the data once.

I went with AT&T on the new iPad for the following of reasons,

LTE coverage in my area is basically equal.
    LTE coverage where I probably will travel this year is equal.
    ATT LTE is brand new in my area which means not much vampires on the network.
    Fallback speeds (4G) is a big difference between the 2.
    And the 1GB extra for the same price which is nothing to sneeze at.
    I mean, how can Verizon let that happen? I probably would have went with Verizon for the hotspot function if they would have just matched that plan.

It makes me want to turn around and ask the same question back as...

Why would anyone choose Verizon?

There are a lot of AT&T haters, but the main reason I got a Verizon iPad 2 is because it was readily available, the AT&T was consistently sold out.

16. Sterne macrumors member

Yep, me too.

17. magbarn macrumors 68000

I guess maybe for urban areas AT&T is likely better as they should already have 4g. Unfortunately for many of us suburbanites and rural areas, verizon has been much quicker to switch over to LTE.

18. taedouni macrumors 65816

It pretty much depends on whether the person will ever consider using Verizon.

19. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I got the Verizon 32Gb because Apple was out of ATT. I have no regrets . Verizon is a trusted name in my house ( Fios ) and I no issues with them whatsoever

20. Starfyre macrumors 65816

Starfyre

The white iPad was sold out despite most people saying black is more popular, maybe they made fewer ATT models compared to Verizon.

21. Jszmyt macrumors newbie

One huge factor is that when you are not in an lte coverage area you drop down to their 3g which in comparison to att you drop down to hspa+ which is about 3 times faster roughly. I chose att simply because of this reason

22. cbronfman macrumors 6502

More postings from DC

I'm glad to hear it - I'm in DC on the river and my iPhone 4S doesn't get the speed it should although when I'm a few blocks away, it does. I was wondering about LTE. Anyone else in DC with an opinion on ATT vs Verizon, please post. I'd prefer to stick with ATT for the CS superiority - but elsewhere in the US, I've seen posts showing speeds on Verizon which seem extraordinary and there have been few posts about LTE in DC.

23. hh83917 macrumors 6502

I have a AT&T iphone4s and had ipad2 and iPad1 all with AT&T 3G because AT&T has very good coverage here.

But for LTE iPad, I went Verizon just because it has hotspot feature and I signed up for the $50 5GB plan for that hotspot feature. I believe 2GB or even if they offer 3GB, it will not be enough if I use the hotspot for my MBA. The thing is LTE is a different beast and it actually make the hotspot much much more useful than 3G.

If AT&T will be matching Verizon for hotspot LTE, by the end of the month, I wouldn't mind returning the Verizon iPad and switch back to AT&T LTE.

24. Starfyre, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

Starfyre macrumors 65816

Starfyre

Ive had the exact opposite experience as ATT is spotty in DC from my experience. With Verizon, I am able to get data service even within the metro system. Typically when you go within buildings, the service just becomes nil or one bar. Friends using Verizon at the same location easily get signal of at least 4 bars. To me, Verizon is much better in DC. Many people in the DC area, especially college students that like going all over the place say "ATT Sucks"

25. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Thanks Starfyre

That's been my experience too - I may have to try Verizon if I purchase the new iPad. I was in the Apple Store on Wisconsin near M today - and frankly couldn't really tell the difference between the iPad2 and the new iPad, differences didn't seem that pronounced unlike that between my 3GS and 4S. They were in a row along the side - all the iPad's were so covered with fingerprints, it was hard to see. Also, there seemed to be enormous variation i whether the screen had a whiter, bluer, or more yellow tint.

As all of them were on WiFi, it was impossible to test LTE.