Why Collect Apple?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by ArchM, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ArchM macrumors newbie

Hey..
    I'm writing this MA thesis on Collecting Branded Memorabilia, and Apple seems like a good place to start! I was wondering if you would have a few minutes to spare, and tell me a little about your collection and collecting process. I'd really like to know:

- Is there a particular type of memorabilia (tshirts, pens, etc.) that you collect?
    - Why do you think you collect at all?
    - How long have you been collecting?
    - How did it start? Which one was your first piece?
    - Which is your favourite peice? Why?
    - Are you very 'private' about your collection, or do you love showing
    it to those who'd like to see it?
    - Are you competitive about the collection? Do you compete with other
    collectors in any way? What way?
    - Are you a member of a Collectors' Club or Society? Does this forum that you are part of help your personal collecting in any way? Do you think the setting up of a social collectors' platform helps and encourages the collecting process for eveyone involved?
    - Would you ever sell your personal collection?
    - Why did you choose Apple in particular to collect? Why Apple?
    - Do you regularly use Apple products in your daily life? Do you
    consider yourself as particularly loyal to the brand?
    - Would you mind revealing your age and nationality?
    - Is there anything else that's exciting enough to be shared?

Of course, a personal conversation is often a much better idea when it
    comes to subjects like these, but unfortunately, I know that
    that's not really an option. That said, I really do hope you are able
    to find a few minutes to help me out here. I do know that looks like a lot of questions, but you may answer only as many as you like! Thanks a ton!!!!

2. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I have 4 of the older all in Macs. The Original Mac, the SE a Classic and I believe an SE/30. I also have a NeXTStation Slab.

Why do I collect these?

In all honestly I tend to believe it has a little to do with depression. I doubt anyone else answers the question the way I do but that's my honest opinion. I think I tend to look backwards sometimes because whatever is forward perhaps lacks something that I felt in prior experiences and I'm trying to relive it somehow.

I just remember how I felt when the original Mac released. It was brand new. Wildly better and different from anything else before it. Even though it wasn't color it had such fine detail that it didn't matter. The first time I saw Dark Castle I was so impressed with it. I just had to have it.

Today we seem to be living off the innovations of the past. We keep using Unix in some way. We keeping standing on the shoulders of what we had decades ago. And perhaps that feeling I had when I saw the Mac the first time was a once in a lifetime feeling. That feeling can't be recreated until we do something truly extraordinary again.

Perhaps the next leap will be something like HAL9000. Or perhaps the screens will just be a hologram that appears somewhere in front of you. Whatever the next step is, it isn't hear yet. I might not live to see it. All I can hold onto is how I felt back when the Amiga, the Mac and the NeXT were competing with each other. It was truly a groundbreaking time to see this unfolding. The first time I used a modem to connect to a BBS. Linking with others from the around the world for the first time. I felt like an explorer. Now we're just updating all the time. We're not explorers.

Every now and then I boot up one of these old Macs. And I just type of an article or I play an old game like Crystal Quest and for a little while I remember the coolest new concept in computing. But pretty soon it gets old. No connection to the internet. Limited software and the like. The fact that my phone is more powerful ends the ability to enjoy the past.

It's the memory and the feeling I had that I miss. I want to have that feeling just once more. I keep hoping there is someone out there, building a new computer which isn't based on any technology that is shipping today. It's something brand new. New thinking and new risks. Something that redefines everything from the ground up. Then perhaps I'll take the last of the Macs made and put them with the first and complete that chapter of computing so I can begin the next chapter.

3. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I'll bite...

- Is there a particular type of memorabilia (tshirts, pens, etc.) that you collect?

My Apple collection consists mostly of old Macs, with a few promotional posters I've accumulated over the years.

It wasn't exactly intentional--I had used numerous old Macs that I had bought rather inexpensively and then couldn't bring myself to get rid of them (a combination of that some may have had a collectable quality and that it would have been hard to find a buyer locally). Now I use my new Macs as long as I can before replacing them, often repurposing them as a server or something else.

Probably since around 1998 or so...

Actually, not a Mac, but an Apple IIgs - I received it for free and then went on a quest to find a printer for it. The only used computer place nearby was selling a Mac SE with an ImageWriter II for $75, so that got me started.

Probably a toss-up between a Mac 128k that was given to me (just for historical reasons) or the IIgs (it was an oddball in Apple's lineup).

I don't really have much "on display" - some of my old technology is in my home office, but the rest is stored at the moment.

Not really.

- Are you a member of a Collectors' Club or Society? Does this forum that you are part of help your personal collecting in any way? Do you think the setting up of a social collectors' platform helps and encourages the collecting process for eveyone involved?

I'm not a member of any such club, nor do I really use this forum for growing my collection. I have been trying to find a few parts and frequented some old vintage Mac listservs when they were my main day-to-day computers.

Depends on the buyer's price and what they wanted. As of right now, I'd probably hang on to the rarer items.

Growing up with the early computers had me interested in them, and the first computers I used regularly were a Compaq 286 laptop and an Apple //e. We always had PCs at home while I was growing up and I used various Apples (IIs and early Macs) at school, and I always liked the experience--I couldn't pinpoint the exact reason why until much later, but I didn't exactly choose to collect...it just happened. Plus, many of the machines had some sort of interesting backstory, either with their prior owners or Apple itself.

Yes - I now use fairly new Macs, have an iPhone, an iPad, and an Apple TV. I'm loyal to the brand, but not afraid to be critical.

We'll say "under 35" and American. :)

I think now that I am older than when I started this "collection", it's going to be interesting in a few years when some of the machines I purchased new are in the "really old" category. I was very young in the days of some of the Apple IIs and Macs, and didn't quite pay as much attention. When I think about years from now what things will be like, I wonder if the iPad will be like the original Mac, except that I remember the keynote when it was introduced, as opposed to experiencing it over the Internet years later.

4. ArchM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton, u guys... I really had my doubts about people answering sooooooooo many questions that were not even directly related to particular specific models of the Apple computer, but, really, thanks a ton to both of u!

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Macs and Newtons mostly. Displays and interesting peripherals.

Its something to do. Always fun to have new toys.

10 years now

I guess the "collection" only counts once you get more than one. I guess the first piece that I would say I collected would be my Classic II. I already had a Quadra 800, so this one wasn't really necessary, but seen more as cool and compact.

I think my G4 Cube setup would be my favorite. I've got the complete setup going (Cube, 20" ACD, USB H/K speakers, and original keyboard and mouse). Its an iconic piece of Apple design. Everyone love the cube and I love showing it to people and telling them about its history. Plus I always wanted one before they were affordable.

I'll show people if they are interested, but not everyone gets it.

I used to when I was younger. Now, I beat everyone I know by a long shot, and I really don't add more the collection anymore. Probably 3 new additions in the last couple years is all. I've gotten just about everything I want.

Not a member of any clubs or societies. I don't think it helps now, but when I was starting out, I did get info from some people on other forums. Whether or not it encourages collecting is hard to say. I think people who collect things have it in them more so than being effected by others input.

Oh probably. I would imagine I'll part with 95% before too long. I'll keep a select few though like the Cube, a TiBook and probably my 8600.

Its the only brand of computer with a long history that is unique and continues to be produced. Why I don't collect Dells or HP's? They're not interesting and there are FAR too many to ever make a dent in how many have been made.

All I've ever owned are Macs. I use them all the time. I am loyal to the Mac, Newton and iPod. As far as iPhone and iPad, I don't care for them and don't own either.

Age 24, nationality Midwestern USA Caucasian.

My collection includes 33 Macs, 6 Displays
    , 3 Newtons, 4 Printers, 2 iPods, countless peripherals.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Yes: Old Macintosh Computers. As well as the associated sales and systems documentation
    Because computing interests me, and I have a lot of old software I like to keep kicking around, for old times sake.
    Since 1998/1999, but as a 6 year old, I didn't have much momentum in terms of collecting properly until about 2007
    1994: I started to learn to use a computer, a PowerMac 8100/100. This then became the first Mac in my collection when it was replaced a few years later by a G3.
    My PowerMac G4. Because it was the first item in my collection I paid for myself.

I will show it to people if their interested and ask, but I don't advertise it all that much.

Nope. My Collection is for my enjoyment, so I don't care if others have more or less. I just look for pieces that interest me.
    Yes and No. Im a member of RetroMacCast, but I believe it only helps in terms of being alerted to great deals, and discussing some of the rarer items. Not for general collecting as much.
    No. I have too much history with most of the machines involved to part with them.
    Because it interests me, and Macs have always been cool. Waay before the resurgence of Apple.

Yes I do, In fact I spend probably 90% of my life working on my MacBook Air, and I do consider myself loyal to the brand, because without Apple I wouldn't have the lovely environment of Mac OS X to enjoy. Hence I will buy Macs until they stop making them.
    British, 18.
    Nope.

7. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

There you go...

8. ArchM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

A great big thank you to everyone who cared to reply, I really appreciate it! :)

9. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

Pre intel macs & the associated hardware (and if you can count it, macintosh software, particularly apple dev & restore disks, all of which is kept in the public domain, free to dl from my server)

Because i have always had a interest in computers from before my time, and i have always been loyal to apple, apple is the obvious (and easiest) brand for me to collect

Around 4 - 5 years, but there was no specific start time, just thats the time i started referring to it as a collection

With the first computer i ever owned (and still have) my base model macmini G4 (who now is pretty upgraded)

Again, My macmini G4, just because it is the first computer i ever owned, and i think it is one of the best looking computers ever made

Yes and no, i don't specifically show people about them, but i am quite happy to show them or talk about them if people are interested

With the hardware collection, no. With the software, there's always the element of trying to be the biggest collection, and trying to get that unseen disk or piece of software uploaded to your server first (which i have done pretty well at with the dev cd's)

That depends, im not a member of any formal club, but for the software i am a member of some "communities" (eg. macintoshgarden), i certinally think it can help people to procure what they are looking for

-Would you ever sell your personal collection?
    Well, for most of my collection, yes if the price is right. There are 2 exceptions to this, my MacMini (because it is the first computer i ever owned)
    and my ibook g3 (just because i love the ice white design)

because it what I have always used and the designs (and stories of how they came about) have always interested me

Yes i use my mbp every day, my server is a 2001 qs G4, i consider myself loyal to the brand, but only to a point, the Minuit it becomes style over substance ill jump off the bandwagon (OSX lion has crossed this point, so i am sitting on Snow Leopard, considering linux for the future, but still loyal to the hardware)

Ill say I'm a teenage kid, and I'm British

my collection consists of 11 macs (1 intel, 1 68000, 9 PPC) an apple tv running osx, 2 ipods, an iPhone and ~160Gb of files (around 3-4000 actual files (I think))

10. steveca macrumors 6502

mostly systems

A passion like anything else... people like fishing, others like skydiving

about 5 years (but in the last couple had to limit expenses for my penthouse)

Fancied an old iMac G3 and then it started

A rare JLPGA powerbook 170. I love its colors, just amazing product that was produced only in 500 units...

- Are you very 'private' about your collection, or do you love showing it to those who'd like to see it?
    If someone is interested I show

Not really... Here in Malta (Europe) I think there is almost no one who collects Macs, at least not that I know of

Not a member... I love contributing to forums when I have some time... I would really love to join such a thing but like I said in Malta that is very remote.

Yes if required for more important reasons.

Love their products in terms of design and functionality.

I use them everyday for work purposes and yes I am very very loyal to Macs... even though considering a move away from iOS (strange indeed...)

28, Malta (Europe) island in the mediterranean (center of the world) ;)

Have fun in your studies. "Play Hard, Stay Foolish"

11. ArchM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton MaxYY and Steveca!! @Steve: I do know where Malta is, a good friend comes from there! :D