Why cost differential Glossy vs antiglare screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duffer6, Mar 4, 2012.

1. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Why is there a premium added to the antiglare option of $50 if you select this option for a 17" MBP or other MBP's.

Is the AG screen truly considered an "upgrade?" Could it be that the economy of scale does not apply here so Apple actually has to pay more for the Antiglare screen since they order a lot less of the AG versus the Glossy screen so the cost is passed onto those who elect to pay for the AG upgrade.

I am curious your thoughts as to why Apple has a $50 premium for AG?

Thanks.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not a standard item so costs are involved

3. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

Because people are willing to pay for it. Basic capitalism: charge the price the market will bear.

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Some people such as myself want an Anti Glare screen for use in brighter areas, and realize we have no other choice but to pay for this option. Plus $50 is the least of my worries when buying a 15" MacBook Pro anyways.

5. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

Yes, I'm another of those people who want antiglare. And the fact that we're want it enough to pay for it means that we are the reason for the extra charge.

6. tarponbeach macrumors member

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I guess it's mostly to cover the cost of non-standard configurations. Custom configurations are not good for mass production!

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I tried one on my old Samsung glossy. Works very well if you manage too attach it properly. According to many people it is quite a lot worse though if the screen has a thick glass panel in front like the MBP. A matte film needs to be as close to the tft panel as possible for best results.
    It is not really viable for a MBP it is more of a measure of last resort. It helps against the gloss but hurts display quality much more than the Apple AG option.