Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
On television shows someone will be using a Mac laptop as one of the show's props. Always, always I tell you, they will have the logo covered over with some kind of material, hoping everyone will not notice. Well I notice, I'm a Mac user!

There was such an example right now on the Will & Grace show, but I've seen this done on many shows. This one had what looked like a large piece of light grey vinyl tape cut in the shape of a circle to cover up the back-lit logo. I just don't think their is any point in covering it up; and to tell you the truth, it kind of irritates me because of stupidness of the whole thing. If I could, I would yell at the producer: "hey you damn idiot, I can plainly see that's a Mac!" :mad:

Reactions: GreginNJ

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
On television shows someone will be using a Mac laptop as one of the show's props. Always, always I tell you, they will have the logo covered over with some kind of material, hoping everyone will not notice. Well I notice, I'm a Mac user!

There was such an example right now on the Will & Grace show, but I've seen this done on many shows. This one had what looked like a large piece of light grey vinyl tape cut in the shape of a circle to cover up the back-lit logo. I just don't think their is any point in covering it up; and to tell you the truth, it kind of irritates me because of stupidness of the whole thing. If I could, I would yell at the producer: "hey you damn idiot, I can plainly see that's a Mac!" :mad:

i know it kinda bothers me too. it's like dropping the u.s flag, total disrespect

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Apple doesn't pay anyone for product placement. Often times a director will want to use an Apple product because they look good on the camera and will ring Apple asking for some placement money - when Apple refuse the director will cover the logo.

Looks silly to me, everyone knows it's a Mac.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There are several issues going on here. First the "Apple" logo is a trademark owned by Apple Computer. Thus, any usage of this logo must be cleared through Apple Legal. In most cases, this would result in Apple receiving some money in exchange for the other company's right to use the logo in public. However, with the power of TV, the reverse is true there, and we have product placement where the company usually pays to have their trademark used in the TV show. AFAIK, Apple rarely, if ever is willing to pay for product placement, so the logo may be covered up so that Apple doesn't get any free advertising...they need to be punished for not playing the game after all, right?

Another issue can be with exclusivity. Another company (maybe not even in the same industry) may have an exclusive agreement for product placement in a certain series or episode in order to not dilute their message. This could force the show's producers to cover up other identifying logos.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Unless there is some 'small print' when it comes to worldwide distribution of shows with 'product placement' and a back lit logo is worse than a plain dell or sony then I can't think of a sensible reason.

The 'conspiracy theory' would be that perhaps anything that undermines the position of microsoft as a sound investment is not a good thing to promote especially when TV production is so reliant on sponsorship/outside investment to get production underway.

Personally, I'm guessing the backlit thing 'cos the older non illuminated logo weren't such a problem 5 or so years ago, you could see them everywhere.

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
I wonder if Will & Grace being on NBC has something to do with it in that situation?

NBC of course is in cahoots with Microsoft with the MSNBC news channel. I wonder if allowing Apple products to be displayed would mean a conflict of interest.

Of course we see this all the time with other products on TV shows. Soft drinks, food, cars, etc are not displayed in order to prevent unauthorized advertising.

Usually the power is in the hands of the trademark/copyright holder. I was watching a special feature on the 2nd season DVD set of "The Office" where Michael (the boss played by Steve Carell) was playing a self made movie to the theme "With or Without You" by U2. Anyways, the actors/producers on the feature were saying it cost an obscene amount of money (I don't remember the figure) for Bono & Co. allow the song to be played. I wonder if all the money went to Africa :).

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i see it all the time in car commercials.

A ad ran for some Hyundai car, and one of the cars it "ran rings around" was obviously a Ford car, but the logo wasn't on it. There was no way Hyundai was going to pay Ford to have their car in the commercial, so they just removed the logo.

if the logo isn't there, you can't say for sure that it is a companies product.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
i see it all the time in car commercials.

A ad ran for some Hyundai car, and one of the cars it "ran rings around" was obviously a Ford car, but the logo wasn't on it. There was no way Hyundai was going to pay Ford to have their car in the commercial, so they just removed the logo.

if the logo isn't there, you can't say for sure that it is a companies product.

Yeah, that's mainly a function of Australian law - you can't do a direct comparison with a competing product, so Ford couldn't say "Our engine has x more kilowatts than the Holden Commodore" they have to say "more kilowatts than our competitors," you can't name someone else's product.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
They may barter in some way...but apparently they don't flat out pay.

Same article:

But Apple was one of the first technology companies to hire someone in Los Angeles to get Mac products prominently displayed in hot TV shows and movies..."It's not an accident," Bajarin said. "This is something Apple works at. Apple has the longest history of doing this."

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Absolutely...no one ever questioned Apple's abilities in the product placement arena. It was simply an observation that they don't lay out cash to get their products shown...they use more creative means which I'm certain are much more powerful. If instead of giving the Hollywood folks a fistful of cash, you give them a Mac, you've suddenly also got some potential customers lined up in addition to the product placement. And given Apple's profit margins, it's cheaper to barter than it is to pay cash.

It'll be interesting to see if they can continue this as cash becomes a bigger piece of the puzzle. With their experience, the sexy design of their products, and the cultural recognition of the iPod, I think they'll be able to keep their wallets closed.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Apple doesn't pay anyone for product placement. Often times a director will want to use an Apple product because they look good on the camera and will ring Apple asking for some placement money - when Apple refuse the director will cover the logo.

Looks silly to me, everyone knows it's a Mac.

Thats true but not "everyone" knows its a mac.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Yeah, that's mainly a function of Australian law - you can't do a direct comparison with a competing product, so Ford couldn't say "Our engine has x more kilowatts than the Holden Commodore" they have to say "more kilowatts than our competitors," you can't name someone else's product.

hmmm...you can do that here in the states. Though most of the products are so unimaginative you'd have to think that naming a competing product would only point out how little difference there is between them.

funny...I've seen the Apple logo prominently on some shows. The West Wing comes to mind. Mostly what I've noticed is that when you see a computer window simulation in print, it's usually an OS9/OSX type of window. I always thought it was because it's way easy to open a new folder window and just take a screenshot...that's what I would do :D

MatthiasC

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2006
Kent, England
'Spooks' on the BBC is packed with fully logoed up macs.
BBC must have a deal with Apple for that one. In the previous seasons they've used the older displays and equipment, last season they were iMac G5's and this season they've got the Core Duo ones all over the place. They must have a deal going, because the kit get's nicely refreshed every season with the latest stuff. Hey, if it's good enough for MI5, it's good enough for anybody right? :D ;)

Oh and another show you often see an apple logo on is Neighbours, Doctor Karl has a Powerbook, Sky has a Powerbook and so does Paul Robinson, of course I do not, never have and never will ever ever ever watch an episode of Neighbours....honestly. :eek:

mattniles007

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Michigan
You know I have never noticed the logo covered up. In movies I swear it is not covered. I'll have to pay close attention on TV. I guess my mind always processed it as Apple right away so I never stared at it too long.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I find it ironic that our ISP has a commercial with some lady using a Powerbook where they did a poor job of covering up the logo (there's an off shade grey box where the logo should be) yet if you call them you have to lie and say you use Windows because they won't touch Macs with a 10 foot pole

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.