Why Cut the Sim... O2 are sending out micro sims just for registering interest!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anim8or, Jun 11, 2010.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Am i wrong to point out that everyone taking the risk of messing with thier sim by cutting it down is, in fact, taking an unnecessary risk???

Reports are coming in that UK carriers are supplying micro sims to those who are registering interest and are existing customers... so why risk it?

2. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

Well they said they *may* send them out before hand!

The risk is whether agreeing to take a micro sim means they can change your current contract to their all new worse off deals :rolleyes:

3. photojonny macrumors member

No risk. The o2 rep confirmed a number of times yesterday that they will give out MicroSims for free to those who wish to buy an iPhone 4 PAYG but carry on with their current pay monthly or simplicity contract.

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

I've got a horrible suspicion that the launch day's going to leave a lot of us without mobile service...

Assuming i upgrade my current contract on launch day, they're going to have to transfer my contract to the new sim yes? How long is that going to take given the last 2 launches have resulted in their servers going meltdown shortly after 9am (along with Apples activation servers)...

5. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

My concerns exactly. On a day when their servers have always gone tits-up, do we really think they're also going to be transferring everyone's accounts to new SIMs?

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

I guess this year, we're going to have O2, 3, Vodafone, Tesco (o2 by proxy) & Orange all taking orders so in theory it won't be as bad at any one company now so they might not just collapse... I remember the iPhone 3G launch it took about 4 days to get my sim activated ... put a right downer on getting a nice shiny new toy

It is going to be interesting to see how the other networks people have been singing the praises of withstand a new influx of high data users...

I'm personally hoping that at last the load will be spread around more evenly and we'll get a better network overall ... famous last words though :)

7. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

24 hours to port your number across to your new sim :(

8. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Where does one register an interest?

9. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Go to any carrier website (O2, Vodafone, Orange etc) and there will be massive banners and buttons on the home page allowing you to register an interest.

On the subject of cutting SIMs, is there a service provided by anyone to do it for you? Or is it fool proof. Because I'm a fool.

10. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

In theory yeah, but in practice?!

11. remuk macrumors newbie

'Porting' service from one SIM to another

I'm a bit concerned about this too but I have hope. Going back to the iPhone 2G launch...the SIM card came in the box right? Remember the activation? Where you popped in your existing contract details and it changed the account over to a new iPhone tarrif? I had my existing number working near enough instantly!

remuk

12. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I was aware of that. ;)

As I'm on O2 already, I registered with them. Just not sure if they'll manage to make the connection between someone registering an interest on their front page and working out they're an existing customer who would like a micro sim (there is no checkbox for this). Especially as I've previously transferred my number from a non-O2 contract - so it may not meet their O2 customer profile.

It's all down to how they join the tables on the database query they use to work out who gets sent a micro sim.

Maybe I should just contact them. :)

13. photojonny macrumors member

When you register your interest with o2, there should be a box to check that asks you if you are just thinking about it, or are thinking of buying on launch day. If you click the 'launch day' box, it opens another box to put your address in, and says they may send MicroSims out early.