Why did a folder named 'Volumes' appear on my HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wie Gehts, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

Hi.
    I searched around and it seems that this folder should be invisible. Its sitting on my mac hd along with the usual system, library, applications etc folders.

I also found out what its for apparently, because when I tossed it in the trash and inserted a cd, the cd wouldn't show up on the desktop. It shows in the disk utility though. This "Volumes" folder also contains an alias of my mac hd. So its needed in order to view mounted discs.

It doesn't show in spotlight. When I tried looking for it using Onyx, it gave me an error message.

The last time I looked at the hd contents it wasn't there, but what I did do this morning was burn a couple of data cds with Toast using the burn as mac/pc readable. Have no idea if this would even have anything to do with it.

The only other thing I can think of is that that folder belongs somewhere else but somehow while maybe selecting and dragging stuff with the trackpad, it was pulled from where it belongs.

So either, a) its supposed to be invisible so wht can I see it and make it invisible again
    or b) if it doesn't belong on the top level of the mac hd, what other folder might it supposed to reside in?

Thank you for any help here :)

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

volumes is the directory where things show up when they get mounted. For example dmg files (disk images), network drives and cd's. Don't go panicing. Don't go deleting it. This isn't windows. If something new shows up, it doesn't (automatically) mean a nasty little virus has turned your Mac into a spam zombie. It may mean you changed a setting. Onyx is not a toy. It will show you things Steve Jobs thinks you don't need to see. If looking through the lens of Onyx makes you nervous, stop using it.

If you like learning more and knowing more about the OS, go ahead and keep using Onyx, QS and others but do ask in the forums before you go deleting anything.

I just launched a terminal and typed cd / and typed ls and I saw a folder called Volumes. I typed cd Volumes and typed ls and sure enough there was a list of my mounted drives. Nothing to worry about.

3. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. :)

I use Onyx for the basic safe usage...optimizing, rebuild, run scripts. Haven't had a problem with it.

I did rummage around apples forum and dug up someone that had the exact same thing happen. A responder told him to run this script:

tell application "System Events" to set visible of folder "Volumes" of startup disk to false

and it worked... :D