Why did Apple forget to give Siri the ability to close apps?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by EvilEvil, Sep 15, 2016.

1. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

I love that you can ask Siri open any app but Apple seems to have forgot about giving Siri the ability to close them.

2. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 6502a

Suckfest 9001

Because asking Siri to close an app isn't as fast as just moving the cursor and closing it yourself...........

3. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Hmm. Let's not forget that people may be using Siri as an accessibility feature before we enable sarcasm folks.

@EvilEvil I think we should think about Siri on MacOS as Siri for MacOS v1.0 "She" doesn't seem to even have the intelligence of the iOS version. We can only hope that Apple puts the resources into the feature to make it much, MUCH better in the 10.12.1 update! (and every update thereafter!!) :)

4. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

My guess would be that Apple doesn't want any occurrences of accidental loss of user data or critical usage.

5. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Yeah. That's annoying. There seems to be only 1 app it can close. Itself! Buy saying "goodbye".

It won't shut the computer dpwn or restart for you either. And I would prefer that it had that capability too.

6. orph macrumors 6502a

id gess rshrugged is correct.
    in my house there's 4 macbook's and a macpro i can just see 'shutdown' being a problem when all 5 turn off at the same time :D

ps did anyone ever do pranks with an apple remote :D i know i did

7. leman macrumors 604

For the same reason why Siri can't delete data. Very far from 'they forgot'.

8. KALLT macrumors 601

You could probably do it with ‘speakable items’ in Accessibility, using voice control. This has been available for many years.

I suspect the actual reason why Siri doesn’t support this is because Apple doesn’t consider it a standard use case. They have been trying to get users to stop closing applications manually.

9. orph macrumors 6502a

you may be able to do it with ‘speakable items’ in Accessibility but most users have that off, so say if im standing in this room with 4 laptops out they wont all delete files at the same time XD to everyone's joy.

not mention uni's that have imac's in computer rooms XD just shout delete during a lecture

10. KALLT macrumors 601

Siri on Sierra does not support ‘Hey Siri’, so this wouldn’t be a concern, I suspect. Unless of course the soon-to-be announced MacBook Pros will have something like this.