Why did apple give such a low volume speaker to the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DevilInDisguise, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DevilInDisguise macrumors member

The product is amazing but the speaker totally sucks ass.. if u go buy a china make phone, the speaker beats any of the others in the market like sony, nokia etc..

Why did apple decide to keep such a sub-par speaker and launch the iPhone with it?

someone fill me up on this, as i can never understand why.

2. one1 macrumors 65816

If you think it is low now you should have had a 1.0.2 phone before the update.

3. rosemarycane macrumors newbie

The volume is decent for ipod functions and you tube. As far as a speaker phone is concerned, u better be hidding in a padded room under a mattress to hear it. JK. Seriously though, as a speaker phone it is lacking. Otherwise, its good. My two cents.

4. DevilInDisguise thread starter macrumors member

yes its lacking, but didnt they realise that before releasing it. i mean comon, its not like a rare or uncommon feature of the phone.. the god damn phone rings every now and then, plus its used for loudspeaker and u cant even hear the phone ring if ur in the next room.. how cheap is that.. wouldnt have costed them even 5$ more for a better quality one...

5. rosemarycane macrumors newbie

Dude, I can hear my phone fine all throughout my house except my basement, and thats not turned up all the way. For me personally, I would rather have an exceptional user experience than a speaker phone. But hey, thats me.

6. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Doubt it has anything to do with cost.
    Mine is fine by the way.
    Besides, I use my earbuds, headphone or bluetooth,
    I didn't need a speaker phone or boom box.

7. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Good for you but in the real world a phone must have a decent volume. iPhones volume is the worst feature. The ringer low, the speakerphone is very low, the mail alerts are very low and the text alerts are low. Too many people including myself complain how they miss calls because of the low volume. Hopefully Apple learned from this and will improve the speaker volume in their next generation iPhone.

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I'm one of those people. I'm frequently missing calls. If my phone is in my inside coat pocket I can't hear it if I'm around any kind of noise.

9. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I think the majority of the surrounding world would be happy that you (and they) can not hear your ringers.
    Less noise pollution from little distorted speakers playing obnoxious sound files. Use your vibrator! (That's what she said)

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

:eek: Nice one!! :D

I actually thought that they had some decent speakers on them. My wife's is pretty loud! iPhone speakers that is!!!!;)

11. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Same here....I have missed plenty of calls when outside since i really cant feel the vibrator in my dress slacks, and I certainly cant hear the ringer. The speaker volume is my only complaint against an otherwise perfect piece of equipment! Hopefully iPhone v2 includes an industrial speaker with a sub woofer :)

12. drb6 macrumors regular

Tee hee he

this is a cheeky thread :eek:

13. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I don't think any phone company means to have a quiet speaker, it just kind of happens for some reason. I think Apple had to settle for a little bit quieter of a speaker in order to all for the external speaker to play YouTube, music, and videos without extremely distorting them. I am guessing that if Apple sticks with the same exact look for the next iPhone, it will contain two speakers on the bottom with a smaller mic in the middle. Just a guess, but I think some of the biggest complaints about the phone are about the volume of the speaker. I wish it was louder, so maybe on the next version it will be.

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I have yet to miss a phone call, even when its in the next room, and when Im in a crowded area (even concerts) I can always feel my phone vibrate.

It does suck alittle bit when my co-workers use my phone to you tube and they try to show off a video to a group of 5-8 people and no one can hear the video, then I get hassled by them, but for personal use I have my head phones

and i've never used speaker phone on any of my phones cause its 1. my personal conversation and 2. rude to everyone around. I get really annoyed by loud talkers and people on speaker phones,

15. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

Same here.

16. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

the speaker with the iPod function is usually loud enough to make out, but I struggle to get much audio out of youtube videos without the headphones.

17. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Yes, because as everybody knows, user experience and speaker loudness are mutually exclusive things. :rolleyes:

18. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I think Apple may not want to be one of "those" phones that is twice as loud as any other in the room while people feel the need to use speakerphone and annoy the hell out of everyone in that room.

There always seems to be some jerk in the movie theater 10 rows away from me that I could literally hear their whole conversation and depose it.

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Agreed that I am disappointed in how low it is. I have tried using it a few times but can't because it is barely hearable (sorry, not a word but I am going with it)

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think what's hard to hear is the ringer or in particular SMS in a loud environment. I've missed lots of calls and just about every SMS because it's so quiet, but you have to live with that.

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yeah. Hopefully they can add some sort of nextel function so we can have more people standing in airports or hotel lobbies with their phone two feet from their face, talking at the top of their lungs, followed by *beep *beep and the person on the other end screeching through an overdriven speaker. Yeah, that would be awesome. We need more of that.

*note* I do agree that ringers are a little on the low side.

22. Shagrat macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

Perfectly cromulent word!

23. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am so sick of that! I have a coworker who will not "call" his wife they have to use their stupid "walkie talkie" freature like the are ten year old little boys who live across the street from each other. UGH it drives me nuts, I always ask him why he won't just call her, and he says "this is easier, and it doesn't use our minutes"

I just heard the *beep *beep again. :rolleyes:

24. yayaba macrumors 6502

The ringtone I have is pretty loud... I found it off this forum. I was googling for the ringtone at the end of the iPhone commercials and someone found a similiar one from garageband and uploaded it. Even at 75% ringtone volume the thing is extremely loud, louder than the other ringtone files. Check it out.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The low speaker volume was the first thing that the original secret ATT testers mentioned when interviewed last June.

They said they told Apple and it was fixed. The question is, was it fixed before or after making a few hundred thousand of them for initial sale? After all, they didn't get the phone to test until after its design was FCC approved.