why did Apple go Glossy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoran, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoran macrumors 68020

Is there an official explanation on this issue for Apples laptops and ACD?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

for teh lulz

(I think it's something to do with making colours more vivid etc)

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Yes it makes you perceive the blacks darker and the colors pop, but professional photo and video type persons don't like it so much. Cause you're on the nature trail to hell, in 3D!

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Then apple is about to cut off all it's professionals then...

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Glossy increases colour saturation. The average consumer really doesn't care about colour accuracy too much, so they figured they weren't losing out too much.

After using a MacBook for 2 years, I can't stand a glossy panel, and glass in front of it just makes it worse. I know I'm gonna come across as an angry 5 year old when I say this, but I won't be buying another Apple notebook until they put matte panels in. I'll buy iMacs and connect them to external displays, but I can't see the point in forking premium money out when I'm not going to be using the notebook as portables.

The new MacBook line is almost perfect. Its just the glossy displays and the lack of FW in the MacBook which really irritates me.

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

So; just to summarise: Glossy makes colors look better than they are, and inaccurate, correct? While matte gives accuracy? And hence, if a color looks bad, it doesn't hide it, correct?:confused:

And so, if a consumer isn't concerned about the glare, and isn't concerned about color accuracy, glossy would be the better choice?:confused:

Sorry, just trying to get things clarified for myself here.

7. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

They should at least offer a matte option. My wife just bought a 17" MacBook Pro, since it's the only way she could still get a matte screen. We just couldn't stand all the glare from the glossy screens in the store. It really makes your viewing angle go to ****.

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Oh boy, another one of these threads.... :rolleyes: there is no such thing as a "better choice" unless you have a certain job you will be performing. Many variables have to be taken into consideration before you can say one is better than the other. It's all in personal preference as well. Most people find that if they will be working in front of large windows, outside, or under bright lights very often, a glossy display probably isn't for them. As far as color accuracy goes, a glossy display can be calibrated to provide good color.

Should've bought refurb if you wanted the 15", they are excellent machines (like new) and have been thoroughly tested for bugs before shipping, unlike new machines that get a once-over and are cleared for distribution.
    Also, testing units in the store probably isn't the best way to judge reflections. I don't know about your store, but ours has short tables that require you to stand over the computers and tilt their screens back full tilt, so all the overhead lights reflect back into your face. How many times will you encounter this after purchasing?

Also, you have the option of an external display for professional work when you need it, and just using the computer's display for everyday tasks.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Apple's wanting to reduce it's product line as much as possible for simplicity and cost effectiveness, IMO. Someone, somewhere (probably wearing a black turtleneck) decided glossy was the way to go.

Personally, I think they should have made matte an option on the BTO machines, so all the pros could pay extra special pro prices for the pro level displays.

10. stuarthatto macrumors regular

11. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

yes...but on a non Glossy vs Matte thread!!!! :mad:

12. brentsg macrumors 68030

Why are people still starting the same thread over and over?

13. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

The same reason people post unrelated responses. :rolleyes:

Also, they haven't learned to use the Search feature. ;)

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I haven't noticed this...

Oh, but are there any viruses for OS X? And do I need to defrag my disk? What about a USB keyboard; what drivers do I need for that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.