Why did Apple go with Glass for a BACK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KameronBriggs, Jun 24, 2010.

1. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

I mean, out of all my phone's I've had, the back takes the most drops, hits, stress. It looks nice...but how SMART is it to put glass on it? No matter how durable, every glass has it's breaking point....Are they stupid?

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

It's just as "stupid" stupid as putting glass on the front.
    It's just last time, you had a 50/50 chance it would hit the back and not shatter.

This isn't toast, there isn't just one way it's going to drop. ;)

3. irich25 macrumors regular

because plastic was just as bad

i think its 50/50 when the phone drops if it lands front or back so the back doesn't take the most drops

4. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Because it looks amazing. And with a bumper it won't break.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

They wanted to make this the biggest change since the original iphone :) I can't believe all the reviewers are saying this iphone design is completely different from all other iphones. It's exactly the same size screen, it's nearly the same dimensions, and has the same exact buttons. It's slightly more rectangular than round, big deal, not a big design change.

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Glass is much more scratch-resistant (try carving something on the iPhone 3GS's glass display, then try the back) and it looks really good. It's too bad it isn't much stronger for drops.

8. XJ13sd macrumors member

I agree with the OP. I love the way the back looks no doubt but, I hate cases had my 3GS naked for a year and I'm fairly careful with my phone but also don't want to fully baby it. Took my IP4 into the gym today and had to put a towel down where I put my 3GS naked for the past year on the treadmill. Not one scratch on my 3GS looks like it did a year ago but that glass back is gonna scratch i can tell.

9. Dj BW macrumors regular

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

IT doesn't scratch easily and it is transparent to radio waves.

11. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

The next Iphone won't use glass it will have a mirror the back. 7 years bad luck for everyone.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

but apple did not use it for that. The did poor RF design and put it were the hands can directly touch the metal and screw it all up.

Answer the OP quetion. Apple did it because it looks pretty. They choose form over function every time.

13. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

LOL! There is more to he iphone then just looks.

It's quite different. But your right in a way. Same front end same buttons (the volume rocker is the same as before. They just took that one button and placed individual buttons on it's own track. (take the volume rocker from an older iPhone off. You'll see its the exact same as the iphone 4)

14. army91c macrumors 6502a

Now I lol'd at this! Never thought of it that way but yes, it would be perfect for that!

15. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

I've got a really simple fix.

STOP DROPPING THE PHONE!!!!

16. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Acidents do happen but your just shooting your self in the foot if you don't buy the case. Protection should come before sex.

17. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

I've never once seen someone who broke their phone on accident. It's because we're stupid, and unless they build a phone with something unbreakable... that's the way it is.

I've broken iPhones twice... not accidents, I didn't mean it, but I was an idiot at the time. iPhone design wasn't the problem, it was that I dropped it on a surface (the ground) that didn't have any give.

18. c00lerness macrumors member

Remember that apple patent that could detect gadget abuse? Maybe they couldn't find a way to do this, so instead they made the back of the iPhone more fragile, lol. :apple:

19. lathode macrumors member

Meh, from the ifixit teardown the back comes off when you unscrew the bottom screws. Easily replaceable. Plus it looks sexy.

20. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Because they can't use metal as it will interfere with cell signals and the 3G/3GS's plastic has been cracking.

21. M87 macrumors 65816

I've never once dropped an iPod/iPhone/iPad. Sure accidents happen, but if you're not a complete moron you shouldn't have to worry.