Why did Apple go with this design?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Jardins de Vin, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

It doesn't fit Mavericks at all. It's so un-Apple like, if Mavericks looked the same it would make more sense, but of course it would still be un-Apple like.

I read this article today (and the comments) and I couldn't agree more: http://tabtimes.com/analysis/ittech...apple-has-tossed-30-years-progress-out-window

I know this was probably discussed a zillion times. But I'm just wondering… what's the future now, do you believe iOS 8 is going to look more like OSX/iOS 6 again, or is the system after Mavericks going to look like iOS 7?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

If anything, 10.8 will look more like iOS 7. But unlike some on here, I don't think it'll be a drastic change. Influence, yes, but not a massive overhaul.

It's only "un-Apple like" because it's the first post- Steve Jobs and Forstall UI. Ive is in charge now.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

My response to both is the same: Circling the drain.

It's sad because there is no other ecosystem that compares. I guess at some point I need to decide what's "good enough" for me and step off the hardware / iOS upgrade treadmill.

4. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Because they're two different machines. It's like using an android design on a Mac. I like the fwct that they're making the designs different.

5. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

The new iWork is how I imagine the next version of OS X; iOS 7-inspired, but not drastically simple.

6. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I too think that the next Mac OS will go towards the iOS 7 design. I'm not sure how iWork looks now, but Notes and Calendar have been very simplified and just look horrible.

I always thought Steve Jobs stopped having any influence on the company a long time ago, but I think the whole chaos that's been going on since he passed away just proves that this was untrue.

Also: I don't think stopping of upgrading is a solution. Because the functions themselves, and basically the whole system, are just great. I love iOS 7 for all of its new features. It's really just the design.

And at this point I have to quote a few lines from the article I posted above:

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This fool has confused some parts of iOS for all of iOS.

Yes, I recognize what he's talking about. The problems he lists are real and are spread around the system. But I completely disagree that theses things are the entirety of iOS 7 and the only way to do things.

Does 'Weather' suffer from these problems? No

Does Messages? Mail? Photos? No, no, and no

Contacts? Yeah, a little. Calendar? Yup. Settings? Mostly no, but some spots yes.

So of course I can list things that need improvement. But it's ridiculous to say that there's no hope for iOS 7 when there's tons of great design sprinkled around it. It needs refining, sure. But it's not hopeless.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

That would be 10.10 or whatever comes after Mavericks essentially. As I recall that was/is Apple's plan when it comes to all of that.

9. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I agree, but still there's something to those apps that I don't like. Weather was more simple when it just showed the days with the weather, and if you tapped on the screen, it would show you the weather throughout the day it was. Now it shows you that no matter if you want to know it or not, as a result there's more stuff displayed on the screen = more cluttered.

Messages are fine, but another thing I can't stand is the bubbles now bouncing. It's just terrible. iOS (and also OSX) always had this "solid" feeling, mainly achieved by thing NOT bouncing. That's just like the apps slowly opening from the icon instead of them just opening. It's time waste. And same thing applies when I let my iPhone go to sleep or when I wake it up. Why this slow "gradient"? I'm in a hurry sometimes and want it to be fast, not even slower than before. I hope Apple realises their mistake to go towards the "Android-Colourful-Baby-Phone" idea and comes back to something a bit more solid and mature in the near future.

Isn't that going to be OS 11?

Edit: Probably going to look like this here :) Not that it looks bad, but if that seriously happens one day, I'll have to kill myself.

10. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

How do you square that with the rubber band effect at the edges of window content that iOS has had ever since the iPhone was first introduced to the public? But, yeah, I'm not convinced either that the Messages bubbles should be animated separately.

When did apps ever "just open" on iOS? Apps used to animate in from the center of the screen. Now they animate in from their respective icon.

That obviously looks horribly terribly awful. Not that I would kill myself over it...

11. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

That will be a sad day.

12. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I disagree with it entirely especially the tone, I put this article down to reaction to change. I read similar articles when OS X was released and the iPhone. Was denigrated as a toy and not for business etc. A few months later people were backtracking and years later people forgot that everyone laughed at Apple at the time.

Same thing will happen with this too I predict.

Nostalgia can't beat it! I remember comments like this in every decade since the 80s. It's a little like doomsday prophesies.

Then again my prediction could be completely wrong and the new iOS 7 UI will signal the end of Apple (and perhaps the end of western civilisation leading to the end of mankind.) :)

Edwin

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Everyone here is once again talking apples and oranges. OSX Will never be like iOS because of one simple fact: OS X will always have a filesystem.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

First paragraph. I don't understand 'harsh white backgrounds'. Harsh white? What is harsh about white. It's neutral.

This forum uses a white background. Noone cries.
    Google.com uses a white background, Noone cries.
    CNN.com uses a white background...

I stopped reading. I'm not convinced the author of that article is either intelligent or worth the time to finish reading his incoherent rant.

15. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

There's an excessive amount of white in iOS7.

16. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Depends on the person. I don't mind change but I can see how people used to how things worked before would find the new UI a shock. However once the shock dies down I think most will find the new UI better.

A few will love the old OS but you have many people who like older OSs, many people stuck with Windows 3.11 or 95 for decades after it was no longer the latest OS.

If you don't like it you can always stay on the older OS and ignore all updates. It's a choice not like you are forced to upgrade. Many people stayed with Snow Leopard because they hated Lion (and Mountain Lion) for example. That's fine you don't get the new features good or bad but that's everyones choice. :)

Edwin

17. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Until Apple stopping force iOS 7 downloads, you can say Apple is forcing you upgrade to iOS 7.

18. 158273 macrumors regular

Actually, the forum uses a very light gray when you're reading the posts. That's how iOS 6 was as well, it just seemed white because it was so pleasant on the eyes, but Settings, Music, and a lot of the other apps had a lot of light shades of gray. Now it's just all white, which is tough without f.lux.

19. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I have used a number of iPads at our work daily and none of them are forced to upgrade, neither is my wife's iPhone... On the older iPads we use iOS 6 as it is a little faster we haven't been forced to upgrade at all!

Edwin

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

There are different shades though, and bright white (which can easily be harsh in various circumstances) is different than white that isn't bright or that is more off-white. Plus, no one really stares at Google or this forum or CNN.com or the web in general as much as they use (and thus stare) at their phones that now have noticeably brighter white in the vast majority of apps that one would use. So, there's definitely a difference which plays a role.

----------

Did you let Apple take up a gig or two of space downloading the update for you even if you don't care about installing and using it?

21. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Fair point the waste of space is a pain but this happened with iOS6 and iOS5 (ever since OTA updates started) so not exactly news.

If I decided to stick with iOS6 I would jailbreak to get the space back but I agree you shouldn't have to.

22. Naor macrumors regular

Because it looks way better, it is more modern, it is more pleasant to the eye.

23. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

Well I like the way iOS7 looks. So perhaps they went "this way" as the feedback was there were more "lovers" than "haters"

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Maybe Jony Ives learned from Microsoft Windows 8 looks different with Surface RT and Pro?

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Wouldn't that be something much more subjective, while certain things like those about overuse of bright white and effects of that or other loss of usability are more objective?

----------

Where is this feedback that shows that?