Why did Apple really release the Iphone 4 early?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DineshD, Jun 23, 2010.

1. DineshD macrumors member

Now I understand that the main argument is that it would free up some traffic for the 24th when people were activating through Itunes, but I've heard from several Iphone 4 early owners that the activation process was just as slow as the times when the 3GS came out. And at the same time .... would releasing maybe 15%-20% of the phones early, free up that much traffic for launch day ...

Ive also heard the conspiracy theory from Addictive Tips, which doesnt hold much water.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=947533

What do you think the reason was that led Apple to release the phone up to two days before the actual launch date?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yeah, that story is false, my activation took like 30 seconds, and I'm sure more than 15-20% of the phones went out today.

Yes it makes complete sense that they wanted to have people test activating today so that way if there was a hiccup, it would be resolved by tomorrow morning.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

To make the poor schmucks waiting in line on the 24th at the Apple store irate when those of us who got our phones on the 23rd stroll in and snatch up all the accessories. :D

4. DineshD thread starter macrumors member

I dont see how more than 20% of the phones were delivered before launch, 600,000. I dont think 120,000 phones were delivered early, it would have been bigger news, outside the fanboy community.

5. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

Yes - THIS! :D