Why did apple STOP making the cube?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by yoyo5280, Dec 18, 2008.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Why did apple STOP making the cube?
    I heard there was a problem with it
    and
    Its the most innovative design! :eek:

anyway I can pick on up and rig it with more modern hardware, I love it. As well as the iMac G4 and the clamshell iBooks <3

2. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Yeah... as simple as the design appeared... it was awesome! I would dearly love to see Apple revisit that design. I'd pay a pretty penny for an updated Mac with such a form factor.

The NeXT cubes were pretty radical too! :)

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I'm sure you could fit new bits in a cube if you like. Maybe a mac mini's bits or something fro the PC front.

I'm quite partial to the iMac G4. I'll have one sooner or later...

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Don't know except that they didn't sell well.

Personally, I was excited when they came out until I saw one. Too many wires. The connector was hard to reach. Required a power brick. All in all, a big disappointment.

5. Ropie macrumors regular

Ropie

These points are fair but I wouldn't call it a disappointment. It was extremely radical for the time and still looks wonderful today. My dad still has one and as far as I know it has never given any problems though has only had light use (internet, bit of word processing). They could always reform the mac mini into a cube shape I suppose but these days, when every bugger has an ipod or an iphone or similar, compact and stylish computers are not really that exciting...

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The Cube was an example of form over function. It was more a desk accessory than anything. Underpowered, overpriced, just a repackaging of problematic older guts in a Kleenex box of an enclosure. Place that one on the same shelf as the 20th Anniversary Mac.

I liked it from a purely aesthetic POV, but that's where the appreciation ended.

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

20th anniversary Mac was in Batman and Robin, and on Seinfeld. Where was the cube?

8. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Look up on wikipedia. The cube was even in movies THIS YEAR