Why did Catalina mess up my artwork?

ghsNick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
2,672
532
I just upgraded to MacOS Catalina - and boy do I regret it.

I’ve worked very hard over the years to update my iTunes Library perfectly with all the movie titles, artwork, descriptions and ratings.

75% of my library was purchased through iTunes and the other 25% were Blu-Rays Purchases that I carefully uploaded to my Mac to make everything look like it was purchased on iTunes.

When I use my AppleTV and go to the “My Computer” section to view my movies, everything looks messed up.

Here’s a picture showing how the movies I purchased through iTunes have the weird horizontal artwork and the movies I uploaded to my Mac look perfect. For example, Home and Home Alone were purchased through iTunes, and they look messed up. The other titles were from my Blu-Ray collection.

Here’s the same image in the “Movies” section of AppleTV. Everything looks correct since it’s not showing from the “My Computer” section.

The crazy thing is it’s completely opposite when looking at my Mac. The titles that look correct (that I purchased through iTunes) on my computer with the horizontal artwork looks correct...and the titles I uploaded from my Blu-Rays look incorrect.

It appears I’m going to have to choose either horizontal or vertical artwork and deal with the formats being messed up on either the Mac or my Apple TV.
 
Last edited:

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
1,730
1,385
Barcelona
I agree, it's the same on iOS too - everything is now horizontal. It seems as though Apple has really given themselves a lot of extra work for no real benefit. I guess the idea is to move away from the 'DVD' VHS video type vertical / portrait image but boy it's going to be a long job!

Looks like horizontal is the way to go buddy. You may of course have to change all of your ripped collection to horizontal if you don't want black bars either side of the image. Could be worse, I remember iOS 8 and 9 and that had grey bars either side of the artwork and still does to this day on that older OS. It was horrific after coming from the beauty of iOS 7 luckily iOS 10 went back to the white background.
 

ghsNick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
2,672
532
I agree, it's the same on iOS too - everything is now horizontal. It seems as though Apple has really given themselves a lot of extra work for no real benefit. I guess the idea is to move away from the 'DVD' VHS video type vertical / portrait image but boy it's going to be a long job!

Looks like horizontal is the way to go buddy. You may of course have to change all of your ripped collection to horizontal if you don't want black bars either side of the image. Could be worse, I remember iOS 8 and 9 and that had grey bars either side of the artwork and still does to this day on that older OS. It was horrific after coming from the beauty of iOS 7 luckily iOS 10 went back to the white background.
But horizontal on my Apple TV - My Computers section looks terrible.

Geez...how annoying.