Why did Cydia remove Gumballtech repo/ iMemory Enhancer?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MrThompsonR, Sep 11, 2010.

1. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

I noticed that (I)you get an error to the effect of "Gumballtech repo can't be loaded or not found?" I also noticed while watching my screen during a recent app download thru Cydia "removing iMemoryEnhancer" on my screen? Is it common for Cydia to remove/ kill apps w/o our permission? Is this any different from Apple's "kill switch?" I noticed I have a lot less available ram and tapping "Free Up Memory" in SBSettings on maxes my ram out at 35 to 40mbs when before it would get as high as 80mbs. I have a 3G so available ram can be the difference in an app crashing/ or even opening in the first place. If I find the file and SSH it back onto my phone will Cydia attempt to remove/ kill it again?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iMemory Enhancer and other virtual memory apps are damaging to iDevices. Because the NAND flash disk isn't made for constant read/writes like RAM is. So over time it will kill your iDevice. As per Cydia removing it, it does not remove things without your permission. My guess is that you didn't read all the changes listed on the Confirm screen. 35-50MB free for a 3G is normal. Anything higher means the user is using a virtual memory program.

3. MrThompsonR thread starter macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Well today I've noticed my ram down into the teens... So now some apps are crashing/ open the close right away...? Even Cydia which is a ram hog is doing this... W/o iMemory I may be forced to downgrade the OS or buy a new phone? 18 to 25 mbs just aren't enough. I was holding out for the next iPhone(bug free?) later this year/ first quarter of next year. Also considering an iPad but not both.