Why did I get a 3GS on launch?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajcadoo, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

I bought a 3GS on launch through ATT in July 2009. 2 year contract expired July 2011 and I have been waiting since WWDC11 for this darn iPhone 5!

I was confident an iPhone 5 was going to be announced then, but I have had to hold onto this piece of crap since the event listed nothing but software, software, software...

The icing on the cake was when I dropped my 3GS early August 2011. The cracked screen has probably dropped the eBay value by $100. Now the display clarity has been demolished.

If an iPhone 5 is not announced until the Summer of 2012, I will be done with Apple. Do they not realize that the iPhone 4 was already dated technology for those 3GS adopters whose contracts expired last July? No way in heck we would get an iPhone 4 when it is already a year old.

What are your thoughts?

2. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

3. Pooshka macrumors 65816

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

People are very impatient and not very smart...

Explains why the iPhone 3Gs is STILL the #2 selling smartphone on Att :p

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. ajcadoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

Was my question confusing?

I meant to say that when our contracts expired (those who got the 3GS at launch), our only option for a newer iPhone was the 4. My point is that the iPhone 4 has been out for a year and is dated technology. We wouldn't want to sign another 2 year deal with a 4.

Get the drift? I guess I have just been sick of my slow, laggy, cracked screen 3GS so I had to vent somewhere. haha

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You should be grateful that iOS 5 is going to be supported on the 3Gs and run well at that. Lots of people where worried that it would only run on the iPhone 4.

If you did get a 3Gs when it was launched in June, you have an old bootrom model. That alone ups its value to the seasoned jailbreaker. Having an old bootrom means that your 3Gs has a forever untethered jailbreak with custom boot logos and verbose boot.

8. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Still a great phone. Sucks about dropping it, been there. But don't act like you have low technology it's still a damn iPhone. 2-3 weeks at most till iPhone 5, I'm sure you can wait.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will beg you to stay and not leave and get another phone.
    Also you will get a personal apology letter from Steve.

10. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Yeah it was. It got buried in all that QQ.

11. ajcadoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

whoa, I was not aware of this! How would I know if my phone for sure qualifies as this?

Heres my build info:
    Model: - iPhone 3G S (16 GB Black)

Codename: - ?

Build Country: - Most likely China.

Build Year: - Your Mac was built in 2009.

Build Week - Your device was built in week 21 of that year (May).

Production Nr.: - Your device was number 2773 to be built that week.

Source: AppleSerialNumberInfo.com

----------

haha

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

May of 2009 is before November of 2009 when the new fixed bootrom was first used.

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Buddy, i'm on the iPhone 3G and waiting for the 5, so you have nothing to complain about.

14. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm on a 3G too, I'm eager for an update but seriously I don't feel like I am owed anything. Canada is evil and makes 3 year contracts mandatory (lest you buy outright), so I'm likely going to have to fight tooth and nail to get anything before next summer as it is!

15. ajcadoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

Well I guess I shall bite my lip for now. idk how you 3G guys do it! :D

16. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

Buddy I'm on the OG Droid...be happy its coming sooner rather than later

17. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

I love iOS, but I'm fairly disappointed with the quality of the components in the 3GS -- my 3G radio is burned, and I can only access the network on EDGE.

And yes, the 3GS is low tech compared to most new phones today. The iPhone 4 is low tech compared to most new phones today, many of which are 4G / LTE capable.

My problem with the "buying 3GS on release date" is if the new iPhone is some garbage spec bump 4S model, it'll mean that 3GS owners will be locked into an upgrade cycle where they are always getting dated tech. That sucks. If my 3GS was working properly, I'd hold out until the next iPhone, but hell is a picnic compared to listening to the annoying EDGE network static on every speaker in a 50 mile radius whenever my phone checks for mail.

18. DroidRules macrumors 65816

So you're upset because you didn't save your money to get an i4 off of contract when it first came out? That's what I'm getting from your post but I guess I could be wrong.

I get an upgrade every year so I don't have to worry about being in your situation.... even if I didn't I'd still save my money and get the next one off contract. Budgeting your money FTW!

19. ajcadoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

This is exactly why I complain. I dont wanna be stuck in this cycle, so I am definitely holding out for the next big iphone, even if it is a summer away.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nobody is forcing you to be locked into any contract.
    You can always buy full price out of contract and upgrade whenever you feel like it. Iphone's hold their value well so you wont lose that much. You can also do an early upgrade by paying more than the full upgrade and again you can sell the phone if you can keep it in working condition and make your money back.
    Complaining wont get you anything besides making you look like a cry baby.

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Do you not realize that those contracts aren't with Apple? Or that not everyone is stuck in a 2 year contract? Some places offer yearly contracts while other offer only 3. Heck, some people simply buy their iPhones outright and avoid contracts in general. Then, there are still the people who pay the extra fees to get out of their contracts early or pay the early upgrade charges so they can get a new iPhone yearly regardless of what their contract says.

...and then there are the people who sign a contract, wait for it to expire, and cry about how Apple doesn't care about them since they haven't released a new phone when their contracts were up.

22. maconservative macrumors regular

maconservative

Thoughts? I think you are overreacting over a phone.

23. moargolems macrumors regular

Yeah, a year old! Yuck, to hell with that ****!

And your question was "why did you get a 3GS on launch". Why would you get an iPhone 5 on launch, because you will be complaining about the same thing 2 years onwards from now?

24. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I feel your pain, I'm a couple of months pushing up on 3 years of having an iPhone 3G. And iOS 4 really did cripple the iPhone 3G.

25. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Can you call people using your phone? If yes, then how is your phone bad, at all? Makes no sense aha.