Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Why did I have to reformat my external hard drive in order to set my time machine to be backed up on the first of the month? Is it because there is some setting that prohibits multiple monthly back-ups? It's no big deal because I'm backing up as I type this, I'm just wondering.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You should not need to reformat if you just changed some TM settings. Can you explain what your previous setup was and exactly step by step what you changed.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I actually don't know what I did to be honnest. I just basically erased my external hard drive and started over and that's what I did once I got my MBP back up.

PS.
Moderators. I am sorry for the other thread with the same question. I must have done something wrong. I can't find it.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
I am not sure I understand your question. Time Machine normally backs up hourly.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Mine is set up so that it will backup when my external hard drive is connected and I have the right disk chosen. I never understood how it backed up hourly since the external hard drive isn't connected twenty-four/seven and my MBP isn't on twenty-four/seven.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Mine is set up so that it will backup when my external hard drive is connected and I have the right disk chosen. I never understood how it backed up hourly since the external hard drive isn't connected twenty-four/seven and my MBP isn't on twenty-four/seven.
It only backs up hourly if the destination disk is present.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
It only backs up hourly if the destination disk is present.
I get it. Thank you. :) I'm just happy that I have my MBP back again. I have somewhat of a plan if it were to be snail slow for days or if it decides not to run again.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.